Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    KLM Mechanical

Name is Rob. I'm the service manager.
    Sounds like a service managers anonymous meeting.

My name is Rob and I'm a service manager.

Quote Originally Posted by JDJ View Post
    I feel like an idiot. I gave up a decent job and spent money out my own pocket to go to enter this field.
    I'm just so damn pissed off at myself that I can't even stand it.
    I'm working 10 hrs per week and the big hrs go to the favorites of the boss.
    I don't know if I should move on or try to hang in.
    I got a job a offer from KBR to work for a year in Afghanistan for 84,000 tax free
    I just made a serious mistake
    What were you doing before?

Obviously you weren't happy where you were before otherwise you would've never left.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Where ever you work the trick is finding the right employer, if you really are a good employee. You also need to get some experience. Try not to take a job just because you need it, but if you do I can understand. Try to take a job because you did your homework and interviewed the employer and not just the employer interviewing you. Many employers sound great in the interview just to find out later they are lacking. Talk to employees, check the BBB and if you live in the area and know some places they buy parts and know a counter person check with them and see how the finances of the company are. I worked at one place during my 'ojt' for school and as soon as I met the owner I knew I wasn't going to be there long. Was there for 3 months and then went somewhere else and was there for almost 11 years and now am somewhere else for numerous reasons. BTW - I make quite a bit more than the average income and I don't work for myself. Find the right place to work, get some experience and prove your value. Good luck to you.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    Sounds like a service managers anonymous meeting.

My name is Rob and I'm a service manager.
    LOL...

I didn't want him calling the office and asking for jrbenny. Blondie at the front desk would be mighty confused...even more than normal.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

The nice thing about the HVACR trade is that its so diverse. There are so many avenues to pursue, installation , design , service, sales etc. What I enjoy about doing hvacr service work is the challenge of diagnosing the problem and the satisfaction of being able to figure it out and fix it. The work conditions are usually not ideal, but its the trade I picked so I deal with it. The economy today certainly isn't helping and things will turn around at some point. Good service techs are hard to find and when we find them we do all we can to keep them. I train the majority of my techs in house. The trade isn't for everyone however and you have decide for yourself if it's what you want. You really want to keep your eye on the big picture and see where you might find yourself in 5 years if you stick with it. Good luck with your choice and future career whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    What were you doing before?

Obviously you weren't happy where you were before otherwise you would've never left.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Where ever you work the trick is finding the right employer, if you really are a good employee. You also need to get some experience. Try not to take a job just because you need it, but if you do I can understand. Try to take a job because you did your homework and interviewed the employer and not just the employer interviewing you. Many employers sound great in the interview just to find out later they are lacking. Talk to employees, check the BBB and if you live in the area and know some places they buy parts and know a counter person check with them and see how the finances of the company are. I worked at one place during my 'ojt' for school and as soon as I met the owner I knew I wasn't going to be there long. Was there for 3 months and then went somewhere else and was there for almost 11 years and now am somewhere else for numerous reasons. BTW - I make quite a bit more than the average income and I don't work for myself. Find the right place to work, get some experience and prove your value. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

I'm so hard on myself because I'm scared. My job is the biggest political place ever. I just want to continue learning and become great in this field.

I worked in manufacturing before this and I loved it but I just wanted something to fall back on. I took a leap of faith to pursue this. I asked God to lead me and initially everything was fine but as soon as I don't talk about popping pills and getting drunk every night my boss has it in for me.

I'm just trying to make it. I want this career.

All I can do is to continue to pray and wait for a breakthrough.

You can pray all you want, just make sure you keep swimming toward the light.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I thought it was stay away from the light!!! Now I am confused!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

I need to vent and this looks like the perfect thread to do it. This is my 1st post on this forum but after reading this thread I feel that I need to reply! I have gotten to the point that I wished i would have never gotten into this field of work. Not because of the work itself. I love troubleshooting and fixing problems and helping out customers and selling upgrades. However, I find myself in the position of there are no good employers in my area. I graduated college in 2003 with the highest GPA in my class in HVAC. I since have worked for 4 hvac companies...the longest being 5 years(the best of all 4). one job lasted less then a week because I did not like the way they conducted business and left immediately. Then i went to a huge company and HATED it! More rules then being in the military, worked me 60 hours a week during not busy times of the year, and constantly beat down techs for not bringing in enough revenue...didn't matter how much you brought in it should have always been more. I was the top tech there and it was a 50 millions dollar a year company. So I find a job closer to home, actually higher pay, and for the first month or so a really cool boss. Now for the past 2 months I am getting treated like dirt. I am lucky to get 1 service call a week and most of the time it is a warranty call or callback on another tech or we just installed this last week deal. So my boss is all over me about not making him any money. the only thing I get to do is install (which is not what I was hired for and I have not done much of, which i told him when I interviewed), and all my boss and service manager do is beat me down for being too slow. I know how to do install and i know how to make a job look good and do it right, but they expect me to do a changeout in 3-4 hours! I get calls from the boss while I am there trying to work yelling at me why am I not done yet and before I can even respond he hangs up the phone on me! I have been told by other guys that i work with that if I confront him about this he will just fire me. My wife is out of work and I have a newborn at home, I really can't lose my job right now but I can't keep dealing with this. There are no decent companies in my area hiring right now and i fear for my job daily because of the way I am treated and my bosses short fuse. Also he has no business ethics, we are expected to sell systems on pretty much any service call we go on no matter what the problem. Hot surface ignitor on a 7 year old furnace...why didn't you condemn the system?!?! I can barely sleep at night anymore. I am a very ethical and honest person and I don't know what to do! Everyone in my life is not supportive of me with this...when I say I am displeased with my job i hear you should just be happy to have a job or you're never satisfied or you always think the grass is greener...and so on and so on. Basically I needed to get this off my chest to hopefully someone that will understand how I feel. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    KLM Mechanical

Name is Rob. I'm the service manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-E8UlrF_9o

Quote Originally Posted by WorkinforAHack View Post
    I can barely sleep at night anymore. I am a very ethical and honest person and I don't know what to do! Everyone in my life is not supportive of me with this...when I say I am displeased with my job i hear you should just be happy to have a job or you're never satisfied or you always think the grass is greener...and so on and so on. Basically I needed to get this off my chest to hopefully someone that will understand how I feel. thanks
    I know what you mean. The company I work for too they are becoming a bunch of a..holes in management. I heard about a month ago they talked to a group of about 7 employees and threatened to let them go. The management claims they weren't performing. Your not alone being treated badly these days.

Sometimes you just have to move to find something better. I know it can be a tough choice but why put yourself through what your going through? I would be putting my Resume out on some job search websites and wait. You might be surprised what may come along.

As for the comments that people say. Ignore them. They aren't walking in your shoes or have your values. Focus yourself on improving yourself. Pick up a good technical manual and burn some time with it. There is a difference between a "job" and working at something you like or someplace you like. Hell anyone can just get a "job". Maybe your reply should be I should be so lucky not to just have a "job".

I need to vent and this looks like the perfect thread to do it. This is my 1st post on this forum but after reading this thread I feel that I need to reply! I have gotten to the point that I wished i would have never gotten into this field of work. Not because of the work itself. I love troubleshooting and fixing problems and helping out customers and selling upgrades. However, I find myself in the position of there are no good employers in my area. I graduated college in 2003 with the highest GPA in my class in HVAC. I since have worked for 4 hvac companies...the longest being 5 years(the best of all 4). one job lasted less then a week because I did not like the way they conducted business and left immediately. Then i went to a huge company and HATED it! More rules then being in the military, worked me 60 hours a week during not busy times of the year, and constantly beat down techs for not bringing in enough revenue...didn't matter how much you brought in it should have always been more. I was the top tech there and it was a 50 millions dollar a year company. So I find a job closer to home, actually higher pay, and for the first month or so a really cool boss. Now for the past 2 months I am getting treated like dirt. I am lucky to get 1 service call a week and most of the time it is a warranty call or callback on another tech or we just installed this last week deal. So my boss is all over me about not making him any money. the only thing I get to do is install (which is not what I was hired for and I have not done much of, which i told him when I interviewed), and all my boss and service manager do is beat me down for being too slow. I know how to do install and i know how to make a job look good and do it right, but they expect me to do a changeout in 3-4 hours! I get calls from the boss while I am there trying to work yelling at me why am I not done yet and before I can even respond he hangs up the phone on me! I have been told by other guys that i work with that if I confront him about this he will just fire me. My wife is out of work and I have a newborn at home, I really can't lose my job right now but I can't keep dealing with this. There are no decent companies in my area hiring right now and i fear for my job daily because of the way I am treated and my bosses short fuse. Also he has no business ethics, we are expected to sell systems on pretty much any service call we go on no matter what the problem. Hot surface ignitor on a 7 year old furnace...why didn't you condemn the system?!?! I can barely sleep at night anymore. I am a very ethical and honest person and I don't know what to do! Everyone in my life is not supportive of me with this...when I say I am displeased with my job i hear you should just be happy to have a job or you're never satisfied or you always think the grass is greener...and so on and so on. Basically I needed to get this off my chest to hopefully someone that will understand how I feel. thanks

Im sorry to hear that. It sounds to me like the company your working for is in fear of closing its doors. That causes stress at all levels all the way down to you. You shouldn't let the stress they're feeding consume you though. Ride it out, times are real tough right now. I bet every company is stressed out. I know I would be. New construction has come to a hault.

I worked for a company that had a superintendant like that. The guy was a total A hole... he was right and the guy in the field was always wrong or always f-in off... always tring to send the sheet metal guy on the changeout home in less than 8 hours so he could pocket the hours (salesman always sold a full day's labor on a changeout). The fitters always got their hours and then some (different supers).

He'd call me on *my cell phone* to ask "are you done yet". When I stopped answering it because the company refused to reimburse me when I went over my minutes (like $100 worth), he would stop by a job every couple of hours to ask the same thing.

The owner is cut from the same cloth, so these guys were like peas in a pod.

There are companies/people like this all over... I checked your location because it was a dead ringer for a place I worked at...

You gotta do what you feel is best.

Being employed by someone making your life miserable is no better, and maybe worse than being unemployed.

Is there a relationship between the owner/boss and the person you are following up behind? If it is slow and you are fixing that persons mistakes and no one is noticing, then nothing is gonna change.

Best of luck.

let me get the pampers out. you guys are crying like a bunch of little girls. You think your boss is an a$$? well guess what, that's his job. Its to push you to make more money, spend less and increase profit. Ive never had a bad boss, maybe because i do my job and don't cry like a little b!tch. If i where you I would shut up and step my game up a couple of notches. it seems to me the guys the boss rides the most go first when its layoff time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast