+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sizing walk in box

Post Likes

sizing walk in box

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I've been browsing this site for a few years now and gained quite of but of knowledge from here, primarily refrigeration and air conditioning. I know there is very knowledgeable people here and I feel this is the best place for me to find answers. I'm a mechanical contractor in NYC , I primarily do hvac. The only commercial refrigeration I do is for my best friend who owns 4 grocery stores. Over the years it has only been repairs and upgrades, never installation. He is opening another store and wants me to do the refrigeration. I decided to take the job and want to do it correctly. There will be 4 reach in coolers, 1 reach in freezer and 1 gravity coil deli case. Also there will be a 7' X 14' X 10' medium temp walk in box installed outside. These are the outside dimensions. The product will be dairy products which will be pre-refrigerated,also there will be processed dough and bagels which will come in at or above room temp. Some products may be put in the walk in hot. Which will require the system to pull down the product to at or around 38f...... first I will be starting with the walk in...I really do not know how to properly size the system any help would be great. Condensing unit will be installed about 7 feet above evaporator coil. Thanks

Post Likes
    Sorry to ask but Something does not add up. You Know this is not a DIY site so if you have been reading our forum for a few years then why is your join date Nov, 2015?
    Last look at the calendar we are only in Dec 2015.

Now the second series of questions is what is the load (weight) of the product. If it is outdoors is the box exposed? or incased in a block wall or wood housing of sorts?
    Is the door leading to the inside of the building? or do they enter it from the outside as well?
    What are the wall thickness's of the box?

Your walk-in, FYI, is high temp.

Post Likes
    I am aware this is not a DIY site. I stated i do not do much refrigeration only for my friend, so i just wanted to get the sizing right. The reason i havent joined is most of my hvac questions i post on heatinghelp.com which ive been a member there since 2004....i do not get much help on refrigeration there so someone told me to post here.
    The box will be completely exposed outdoors, door will not lead to inside the employees will have to enter from outside. The thickness of box is 5 inches. Now i do not have the load of product how can i find that out.

Post Likes
    Check with your buddy, The produce if it comes in hot or warm, how much dough, etc. rough guess is good enough. I can run this for you after you get me the weight and
    what is your design deg day? I will need to calc the exposed load. In the past this was done by hand but now use box load calculator do you need the equipment sized for you? I can give you Mod # for
    that as well.

Post Likes
    Thanks for response. I will check with my friend tomorrow about product weight. I would like equipment sized for me. Now the design day im in Brooklyn ny temp can go as high as 100f and as low as 0f

Post Likes
    Ok I will look about 6 am CA time

Post Likes
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I know a few guys here that also contribute to Dan's website. I've been known to "flap me jaws" over there as well. Have you heard about Dick Wirz Book?

Post Likes
    doesn't heatcraft have a calculator?

Post Likes
    A B C O Supply

Markets are a different breed from refrigeration, tread lightly!

Post Likes
    Terry I have the dick wirz book commercial refrigeration for air conditioning technicians...but it doesn't get too much in detail with sizing walking boxes...

Post Likes
    Well, this is like doing service on AC units. Your the guy who fixes what is there. Knowing the house load estimate is a different mentality. You can call Heatcraft and ask for their assistance but they are going to ask q's about how many times the door opens, to the product, to the weight of the product, to the temp of stuff going in, type of packaging, etc,. Only you can get that info.This is the load estimate part. Then, using the info in Dick Wirz book, you can understand how the refrig system responds to the given load. As a service guy I get to see all of the mistakes that were made by the "load guy" and the "installer guy" and the "service guy"and then I get to straighten out some of those mistakes that kill compressors. I get to use all of the info in Dicks book and play the HERO a little bit. You can insure yourself that I won't stand a chance of sneaking off w/ one of you customers. Thats part of what his book is about.

Post Likes
    Product load is about 1500lbs....door will open about 4 times per hour roughly thanks

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Johnstone has a calculator in their catalog.

Post Likes
    Thank you I will look into that tomorrow

Post Likes
    Fancurve did you get the numbers by any chance thank you

Post Likes
    When your buddy's dough(not $) gets surface cracks and his Bagels don't look so pretty then what cha' gonna do? 1500 lbs is not much product.Dough produces heat,and moisture. How "fast" do the Bagels "HAVE TO BE" brought down to WI box temp , to control the dough from "rising" and ruin his dough and his dough($)??? How much does a "stack" of beer,soda,beverages weigh? 24 cans/bottles per case by 8-10 cases high?On a hot summer day, what is the temp of ALL of the liquids going into the WI from the delivery truck? OK OK the milk is brought in cold, but the soda?Door opening/closing is figured at once every 15 min? Can't be a busy place!I see LOTS of WI doors chocked open so the worker can go in/out w/o having to play w/ the door. And the WI is out in the SUN? Oh, but its cloudy where you are.!?!? I think I will introduce myself to your soon to be ex-buddy.

Oh yea, when I take over my new customer, I'll inform him that it is ILLEGAL to roll his Bagel Racks from the Store ,then roll the food product OUTDOORS in the rain,wind, dust, and watching out for Birds that take a crap while zooming by. Whats MY new buddys name?

Post Likes
    Terry

Staten Islands is too far West, You can have it!

Post Likes
    What I love is the black rubber roofing on outside coolers.

Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    When your buddy's dough(not $) gets surface cracks and his Bagels don't look so pretty then what cha' gonna do? 1500 lbs is not much product.Dough produces heat,and moisture. How "fast" do the Bagels "HAVE TO BE" brought down to WI box temp , to control the dough from "rising" and ruin his dough and his dough($)??? How much does a "stack" of beer,soda,beverages weigh? 24 cans/bottles per case by 8-10 cases high?On a hot summer day, what is the temp of ALL of the liquids going into the WI from the delivery truck? OK OK the milk is brought in cold, but the soda?Door opening/closing is figured at once every 15 min? Can't be a busy place!I see LOTS of WI doors chocked open so the worker can go in/out w/o having to play w/ the door. And the WI is out in the SUN? Oh, but its cloudy where you are.!?!? I think I will introduce myself to your soon to be ex-buddy.

Oh yea, when I take over my new customer, I'll inform him that it is ILLEGAL to roll his Bagel Racks from the Store ,then roll the food product OUTDOORS in the rain,wind, dust, and watching out for Birds that take a crap while zooming by. Whats MY new buddys name?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in