Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch!

Ouch!

Working on a roof in the wet snow.I had to reclaim 48kg out and weigh it back in. Finishing up I had just to remove my gauges...

Last year i did the same and ended up with the liquid schraeder not sealing and had to go in against a jet of R22 to get the cap on. So being smart I thought best use gloves. So I did but the cotton backing let the liquid run into the glove and it froze stuck to my hand. I couldn't remove the glove till it had thawed..:-(

Went to the hospital late this afternoon and the Doc popped the blisters and eased the tension. Mucho better and I will sleep tonight ;-)

Them's the breaks..

Cheers

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Done that many times hard to step back and let her fly.

"wear gloves for safety" never mind they trap liquids both hot and cold if they run down the cuff or are absorbed like your condition. Also see them as major trap hazard..countless times used them wile moving an object only to have the glove get pinched in something and i am "trapped"

Did the doctor give you an MRI while there? Part of your brain is missing!

Safety 1st always. No excuse for this seemingly temporary and permanent damage. I'd rather see your knuckles bloody from beating your boss's brains out than to see your hands fried off thinking he's going to fire you in lieu of thanking you for being safe...

A little ass and gas is no big deal out there. If you keep making decisions like that one there, you won't be long before you get into a real issue somewhere. Don't even tell me that you lick your fingers when your meter's in the truck...LOL

NASTY. That will hurt like h**l in a week or so.

Let it blow.

While I've never been burnt that bad, I've decided that it won't happen again.

I'd let a 1000# rack blow before taking a burn like that.

I do keep leather gloves around, but very rarely use them. Too awkward.

I feel your pain!i used to never wear gloves before i burnt mine badly!
    ive never thought you could do that with gloves on!

im sorry that happend to ya!

im gonna watch it blow next time!

Ran into same situation about a year ago on a 25 ton Carrier. Stage 1 compressor liquid line shrader did not seat, let the R-22 fly, was not going to get burnt from that as I've seen a fellow tech get badly burnt that way.
    Psalm 51:10, 12

thats why i like those yj or cd valve core removal tools because you and check to see if the valve is seated before you remove anything.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Glad your going to be ok.

You do realize that the 48kg of 22, cost less then your medical bill, to say the least.

Not risking the lost of use of your hand forever, or your life, is far far more valuable then 1000kgs of 22.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Glad you're ok Richard

We all have that instinct to stop the leak..............I've lost a lot of skin in the name of #608 or global warming...........

It ain't worth it .................

next time let it go..........

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Glad your going to be ok.

You do realize that the 48kg of 22, cost less then your medical bill, to say the least.

Not risking the lost of use of your hand forever, or your life, is far far more valuable then 1000kgs of 22.
    NHS my friend. ;-)

As I say I had gloves on so thought i was reasonably safe. The problem was the angle of the valve and where the install guy had fitted it...
    It's only a light burn and not that bad..The chances of 'losing a hand' is so far remote from reality in this situation it's not worth considering as an option

Thanks everyone for the concern -enjoying the attention from the Mrs

Cheers

Richard

ouch is right, glad you will be okay

Helter Skelter - "I've got blisters on my fingers"
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Negative 40* is really cold, and colder in the liquid form. Over time, just from your fingers being exposed to these conditions you will find that even cold weather will bring out the scar tissue numbness. Thus, kinda feeling like it has happened all over again.
    Knowledge is worth it's weight in gold. I think I remember your first post about this problem. I think we all told you about safety first. Just let it go, it is not your fault. Just don't let Gore know, haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast