Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Looking for a Job as a NYC Refrigeration Engineer

Any one have any tips on finding employment? Local 30 and local 94 have no work and they wouldn't even accept my resume. I went to Turner School and I have had my refer ticket for well over a year with no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

ever consider going into a service company till the buildings position opens up.Trane,Carrier,York do all the Local #94 buildings in the city and downtown Brooklyn.the engineers there lead you into there mechanical rooms hang out and BS during the work which could be for a (week into months) on repairs and winter maint.keep your ticket current on the renewals and a couple of summers go by and you might hook up thru servicing the buildings.each building has its politics within the building engineers group,and with everbody wanting to become chiefs.some of the larger service companies.....Donnally...Arista...PJ....JDP....all 638 shops have techs that are strictly 94/30 guys,and are in the buildings they installed stuff in,and when it gets occuppied they slide their tech in as a stationary......few and far between seen a tech become a chief a couple of times.some shops in the city hire guys just to be in the buildings and get you into 638 Local for bennies......nice deal there.you can't "HANG YOUR TICKET"as they say in them,because Local 94 has to be in there first.94 doesn't allow single engineers running a single site (building) you will see a minimum of 2 ...possibly 6,10,15(rock center)...2 one the afternoons,and 2-3 guys on the midnights.it's a crap shoot to get in,but you need to get at least get into the flow of the industry first either it be a building or a service company with a truck.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by PattyNYC View Post
    Any one have any tips on finding employment? Local 30 and local 94 have no work and they wouldn't even accept my resume. I went to Turner School and I have had my refer ticket for well over a year with no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Did you ever find anything? Im in the same boat now. I do have a couple of building managers helping me, but everyone wants experience. Let me know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chrger1970 View Post
    Did you ever find anything? Im in the same boat now. I do have a couple of building managers helping me, but everyone wants experience. Let me know, thanks.
    I got a job at the NYPL in 2009 as a refrigeration engineer. They wanted a young guy without too much experience so that they could train him how they wanted. We haven't got a raise since March 2009(thanks Bloomy!) but hopefully De Blasio will be a little friendlier than his predecessor. My coworker just got promoted to Chief Engineer so the New York Public Library will be hiring a replacement engineer soon. Keep your eyes posted at NYPL employment. We make slightly less than 94 and 30 but we have great benefits and we still have a decent pension. Also I know places like Fordham University are looking for Refrigeration Engineers often. They are part of the Teamsters and promote from within so you only need to get your foot in the door. Mechanic, Mechanic Helper, I think even a Cleaner can bid a Refrigeration Engineer job once he/she gets their union card. I'm sure many other union shops have similar policies. I actually applied to Fordham University for Refrigeration Engineer so if all goes well then there will be 2 open spots at the NYPL haha. The Bronx campus generates their own high pressure steam, so a big plus is that it qualifies as steam time for Stationary Engineer and those guys make serious cash. Local 30 use to give out apprentice applications once a year. I would look into that.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by PattyNYC View Post
    I got a job at the NYPL in 2009 as a refrigeration engineer. They wanted a young guy without too much experience so that they could train him how they wanted. We haven't got a raise since March 2009(thanks Bloomy!) but hopefully De Blasio will be a little friendlier than his predecessor. My coworker just got promoted to Chief Engineer so the New York Public Library will be hiring a replacement engineer soon. Keep your eyes posted at NYPL employment. We make slightly less than 94 and 30 but we have great benefits and we still have a decent pension. Also I know places like Fordham University are looking for Refrigeration Engineers often. They are part of the Teamsters and promote from within so you only need to get your foot in the door. Mechanic, Mechanic Helper, I think even a Cleaner can bid a Refrigeration Engineer job once he/she gets their union card. I'm sure many other union shops have similar policies. I actually applied to Fordham University for Refrigeration Engineer so if all goes well then there will be 2 open spots at the NYPL haha. The Bronx campus generates their own high pressure steam, so a big plus is that it qualifies as steam time for Stationary Engineer and those guys make serious cash. Local 30 use to give out apprentice applications once a year. I would look into that.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer, I am going on an interview today for Durst, at 655 3rd ave. Not expecting much, just the same old "we are looking for someone with at least 5 years experience" I will look into what you wrote about the NYPL, thanks and take care.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I am going on an interview today for Durst, at 655 3rd ave. Not expecting much, just the same old "we are looking for someone with at least 5 years experience" I will look into what you wrote about the NYPL, thanks and take care.
    Good Luck! Just be confident and think positive. Good things will come

I went today and thought it went well, I walked out feeling confident. I found out later from my friend, that they thought I was sharp and the interview did go well, but if someone with more experience applys they will take them before me. I am dissapointed because they told me at the interview that all the applicants had little experience and that my lack of such did not matter. I guess it does. So the search goes on.

I went today and thought it went well, I walked out feeling confident. I found out later from my friend, that they thought I was sharp and the interview did go well, but if someone with more experience applys they will take them before me. I am dissapointed because they told me at the interview that all the applicants had little experience and that my lack of such did not matter. I guess it does. So the search goes on.
    Did you hear back from Durst?

Yeah, they told me I had a good mindset for this, but that they wanted someone with more experience. So the search goes on. I sent in a resume to Boston Properties for a helper, I would take that to get some experience..

Yeah, they told me I had a good mindset for this, but that they wanted someone with more experience. So the search goes on. I sent in a resume to Boston Properties for a helper, I would take that to get some experience..
    email me at uncierosco@aol.com. sorry there is no private message option. my main email is my full name but i will respond with my actual email. Shoot me an email and i will see if i can help you out.

I've also been trying to get my foot in the door but have had no luck. Everyone seems to be looking to hire people who are already in the union.

Union members get first shot at any openings but the managers make the decision on who to hire

How long have you been looking? Im having the same problem, they tell me 5 years experience, but Im being told its just they want someone in the union already.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast