Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Three week training school

Has anyone heard of Allied Career Training in Dothan, AL for the HVAC training course. They state there a nationally accredited school that trains you hands on and gets you EPA certified in 3 weeks. Please advise if you know of this school. I live in Miami and contemplating doing the course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alix View Post
    Has anyone heard of Allied Career Training in Dothan, AL for the HVAC training course. They state there a nationally accredited school that trains you hands on and gets you EPA certified in 3 weeks. Please advise if you know of this school. I live in Miami and contemplating doing the course.

Thanks
    Sounds like a waste of money to me. Even if you were to get your EPA certification that alone will probably not help you to get a job.

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost?

Really depends on how fast you pick up.

You have to be ready to do a lot of studying alone on your own time.

I got a scored 98% on my EPA test and walked away with a Universal. I studied my butt off man.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    Sounds like a waste of money to me. Even if you were to get your EPA certification that alone will probably not help you to get a job.

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost?
    The 3 week course so called 90% hands on certified training, include round trip flight to school, hotel stay and food is included in a tuition of around $6,700 and they state that you go back home HVAC trained and EPA certified to go into an entry level position. Thoughts!

The 3 week course so called 90% hands on certified training, include round trip flight to school, hotel stay and food is included in a tuition of around $6,700 and they state that you go back home HVAC trained and EPA certified to go into an entry level position. Thoughts!
    Not worth it you wont learn much in 3 weeks and 6700 bucks wow is all I can say

Don't believe it. Most employers are skeptical hiring someone that spent 2 years in school trying to learn this trade. I'm sure you can imagine what they would think of someone that went for 3 weeks.

Do yourself a favor and save your money. I'm sure that this is just another fly by night school that is trying to take advantage of the employment situation by promising desperate out of work people jobs.

Depends on you man. If it's valuable to you then make the move. If you go to a community college you are going to spend a little bit more and have to work and go to school. If you can retain knowledge and have the discipline to study on your own go for it.

Good Lord.
    Suggest you consider a different teaching environment such as a community college . Would cost you maybe $600 vs almost 7K. There is no way anyone can learn $6700 worth of HVAC in three weeks.
    GO DAWGS!

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC9900 View Post
    Good Lord.
    Suggest you consider a different teaching environment such as a community college . Would cost you maybe $600 vs almost 7K. There is no way anyone can learn $6700 worth of HVAC in three weeks.

I don't know of any community colleges that he could go to and only pay $600.

Cheapest I've seen nationwide is 6-7k

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC9900 View Post
    Good Lord.
    There is no way anyone can learn $6700 worth of HVAC in three weeks.
    Carrier, Trane, McQuay, and Johnson Controls beg to differ. $2.5k is a reasonable price for a one week class, according to them.

BWAHAHAHAHA.................... 3 weeks and $6700 ????.....I spent less than that on a 2-year HVAC degree. In 3 weeks you won't even have a good handle on the basic refrigeration cycle unless you know it already. The EPA certification by itself means almost nothing. A person with no understanding of refrigeration can pass the test by memorizing the info. The guy that sat next to me in my EPA certification class years ago hadn't even taken the Basic Refrigeration class yet, and he passed the test (barely). The ESCO Institute preparatory manual we used was only 10 pages long, and all the answers on the test were contained somewhere in those 10 pages. It only covers the law and safe refrigerant handling techniques, not how to repair equipment. If you really want to enter the trade then do as others have suggested and find a good program nearby. Otherwise you will kick yourself for wasting 3 weeks and $6700.

Quote Originally Posted by JDJ View Post
    I don't know of any community colleges that he could go to and only pay $600.

Cheapest I've seen nationwide is 6-7k
    I agree that $600 is a little on the low side. If I remember correctly the classes that I took at a community college was around $2500 and then probably another $500 for books. That was a few years ago. I'm sure the prices have gone up but I'm sure that it is well below $6700.

i find it hard to believe a 3 week class is nationally accredited.

are you sure this class isn't for the EPA test only?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast