+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Impossible Head Pressure?

Post Likes

Impossible Head Pressure?

Short story: Original Pressures -7/150. Added 6-8 ozs 134a to a 1/3 HP true prep table. Suspected low charge. Head pressure shot to 700! I'm not kidding, 700 and it kept running. Quickly bled the charge to 400 and it kept running. My final diagnosis is capillary restriction with non condensibles. My question is: 1) Has anyone seen pressures like this in hermetic units? 2) Why did it not trip on internal overload?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    Short story: Original Pressures -7-25 deg F /150 116 deg F . Added 6-8 ozs 134a to a 1/3 HP true prep table What is the system rated charge?. Suspected low charge. Head pressure shot to 700! I'm not kidding, 700 and it kept running. Quickly bled the charge to 400 and it kept running. My final diagnosis is capillary restriction with non condensibles. Sounds like a good possibility since it prossibly has a low side leak but may be a totally blocked metering device. My question is: 1) Has anyone seen pressures like this in hermetic units? Only once, long story. 2) Why did it not trip on internal overload? Shot up quickly and if the metering device is totally blocked, the compressor motor is moving zero refrigerant and therefore is not doing much work. It would eventually overheat.
    Also, Do you know the history of this equipment and how much it may already be overcharged? Isn't this fun?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Also, Do you know the history of this equipment and how much it may already be overcharged? Isn't this fun?
    No clue. First time working on this unit, but it's getting a new cap tube and drier on Friday. Will leak check as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    No clue. First time working on this unit, but it's getting a new cap tube and drier on Friday. Will leak check as well. The fun never stops with this job!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in