Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Guys, guys, are there not plug in dryers (240), and 3hp compressors wanting 10ga connection. What about space heaters? A furnace (hopefully this is a furnace not an AHU with heatstrips) only draw around 8 or 9 amps. A thirty or twenty amp plug in should be able to work.

My installs are hardwired, so I am not advocating plug ins. Just sayin'. Yeah and an electrician is called for.

The genius of the United States Constitution - when it frustrates the government, you know it is working.

RIP Mr. Gizmo; end of watch 10/27/16

It was a good situation, until everything went wrong!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off...
    We will always know it should have worked!

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    Guys, guys, are there not plug in dryers (240), and 3hp compressors wanting 10ga connection. What about space heaters? A furnace (hopefully this is a furnace not an AHU with heatstrips) only draw around 8 or 9 amps. A thirty or twenty amp plug in should be able to work.

My installs are hardwired, so I am not advocating plug ins. Just sayin'. Yeah and an electrician is called for.
    Of course there are, but they are DESIGNED for it. Show me in the furnace instructions where it is OK to use a plug and receptacle as a power connection.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Of course there are, but they are DESIGNED for it. Show me in the furnace instructions where it is OK to use a plug and receptacle as a power connection.
    See my last line. I am not an advocate. Just saying it can work with a properly sized/ rated cord and outlet. We and the manufacturers may not like it.... An electrician for his area.

The genius of the United States Constitution - when it frustrates the government, you know it is working.

RIP Mr. Gizmo; end of watch 10/27/16

It was a good situation, until everything went wrong!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off...
    We will always know it should have worked!

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    Need to inspect/ test unit for amp. draw, in-rush, etc. I'd also pull the breaker and check those contacts as well as connections outdoors. In addition to ampacity, cable must be correct temp. rating.

Now, OP said had a contractor there then said "he" as in himself replaced the outlet and wire. Now this is DIY, which we don't support here. Hire a pro.

5. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I believe furnace is to be on a DEDICATED supply as well.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Line voltage electrical work is well beyond what our rules permit.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-23-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

8. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I showed this to my 20 year old daughter, and asked her what the problem is...

she said... "the furnace is powered with a cord and plug..."

she has OBVIOUSLY worked with me on many jobs, but has very little work experience with systems...

and she understood this much...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

10. Likes kdean1, HVAC_Marc, Pnasty, Torresmatt liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    "the furnace is powered with a cord and plug..."
    Its actually an accepted method in many areas. And passed by their AHJ.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    oh, I'm sure it's legal... I TRULY hope any AHJ inspector would verify specs on the parts though...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12