Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Moving to the US from England (UK)

Hi, im trying to get more information on the HVAC industry in the US. Im currently working as a HVAC design engineer within a consultancy firm. I have what here is knows as a HNC diploma in building services engineering (from what i understand is equivalent to an associates degree) as well as an Beng degree in building services engineering (equivalent to a Bsc degree). Im also a chartered engineer with CIBSE and have around 10 years experiance within design for both contracting and consultancy.

- Does anyone here have knowledge of moving to the US from the UK within the HVAC trade?

- What kind of salary can i expect for an HVAC design engineer?

- Is the industry large?

- How are job opportunities generally? Lots of jobs available?

Again any informatiom would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam909 View Post
    Hi, im trying to get more information on the HVAC industry in the US. Im currently working as a HVAC design engineer within a consultancy firm. I have what here is knows as a HNC diploma in building services engineering (from what i understand is equivalent to an associates degree) as well as an Beng degree in building services engineering (equivalent to a Bsc degree). Im also a chartered engineer with CIBSE and have around 10 years experiance within design for both contracting and consultancy.

- Does anyone here have knowledge of moving to the US from the UK within the HVAC trade?

- What kind of salary can i expect for an HVAC design engineer?

- Is the industry large?

- How are job opportunities generally? Lots of jobs available?

Again any informatiom would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Remember that the US is huge; job opportunities, salary, and benefits will all depend on where you are employed.
    A job in New York City is going to pay different than a similar job in Pembroke, NC or Eugene, Oregon.
    UA LOCAL 638- The Enterprise Association of Steamfitters

Post Likes
    WE have island states bigger than England. The opportunities here are endless and we try to quell the stupid rules so people can get ahead.

Come on over, you will be in awe and the chicks here melt when they hear a British accent!

The genius of the United States Constitution - when it frustrates the government, you know it is working.

RIP Mr. Gizmo; end of watch 10/27/16

It was a good situation, until everything went wrong!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off...
    We will always know it should have worked!

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    WE have island states bigger than England. The opportunities here are endless and we try to quell the stupid rules so people can get ahead.

Come on over, you will be in awe and the chicks here melt when they hear a British accent!
    Sorry i should have mentioned where abouts i was thinking of moving. Im looking to move somewhere around Nashville TN.

Im also already married to an american which is part of the reason im asking.

Post Likes
    Nashville is BOOMING...

You should not have much of an issue getting employed...
    The largest issue I see is the tech differences between equipment/installs in your area and here...
    Might do some research on that and get yourself up to speed on how it is done in the USA.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Bring Marmite!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Might want to brush up on your English.......

........measurements

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Might want to brush up on your English.......

........measurements
    Funny, everyone knows 2.5 somethings equals an inch or is it 25 somethings? And I weigh a lot less Kilos than pounds, or is it more? I always remember that one because women would rather be weighed in Kilos.....

The genius of the United States Constitution - when it frustrates the government, you know it is working.

RIP Mr. Gizmo; end of watch 10/27/16

It was a good situation, until everything went wrong!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off...
    We will always know it should have worked!

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    The English have 'Whitworth'... British sports cars were made to those dimensions...
    Basically SAE, with different thread pitch.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The English have 'Whitworth'... British sports cars were made to those dimensions...
    Basically SAE, with different thread pitch.
    I've run into that a couple times! Makes me feel like I'm going crazy... It should fit but it doesn't! Then the ooooo, after a half hour and most of my hair was ripped out.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    you need to speak with the state licensing board for what ever state you are moving to. but its highly likely that you will not be able to practice as a PE here in the USA.

what does that mean? you can not sign/seal calcs, and you cannot seal drawings/calcs, you basically will not be able to submit drawings for approval without another engineer putting his or her seal on the drawings.

remember that a seal is not a trivial thing... its like putting your signature on loan documents, so the person signing your stuff will need to be involved in the design as your boss or supervising engineer or what ever... its very rare and very unethical for any engineer to sign something without being involved in a deep review of the design at a minimum.

is not being able to seal **** bad?

it depends on what field you are working in... an aerospace enginner or nuclear engineer does not really need a PE license at all( its a hassle to maintain one btw, continuing education requirements etc.) unless he is a managing engineer or lead engineer submitting designs or specifications to some regulating body like the NRC.

are you accustomed to sealing drawings? are you going to be working under a senior engineer? do you want to start a company someday(many states require 51% ownership to be held by liscenced engineer)?

these are questions you need to ask youself.

Post Likes
    You also need to make sure that you can be employed upon arrival. My son & daughter-in-law lived in Cheltenham for a year while SHE taught school on a teacher exchange program but his visa didnt allow him to be employed while in England. Just a sidebar, both went to Edgehill College in Ormskirk for a year on a student exchange.
    As was mentioned, study up on how its done in the area you want to live. You will find that its done many different ways across the country

Post Likes
    I did the move in 2009. I work as a tech which is hands on service etc. In hvac/R . Adjustment of status for my work visa took 3 to 4 months , but my visa was different from yours . I live in PA and no test or license required to work in this trade Except the EPA 608 license , think F gas .which is nationwide .
    All your search for info should be limited to your home state TN , they will detail the requirements you will seek to work under . Unlike in UK the term engineer is taken seriously as a trained and certified person in there field , and as others have said you may need to work under a senior engineer for a start .
    The country is huge this industry is massive ,lots of opportunities for a skilled guy , southern states need more A/C , energy efficiency requirements are rising .
    Consider when you have firm immigration dates sending off your resume (cv) , to a multitude of engineering HVAC , companies , might spark some interest in your skills , brave and innovative in your new country . Best of luck cheers Jim .
    Oldguy , memories I lived 8 miles from Ormskirk and my daughter had a year at edge hill college, she now teaches in Chicago lol .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast