Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yep. People have to eat and they need heat. Most need A/C. Were recession proof. If were in the soup line, it will be close to the end of the world.

It is slow. For now. Let em let it get fugged up. All the more cash I will make next year.

We see our customers using much cheaper people, who don't have the experience to work on the equipment. This winter alone I have had week long service calls straightening out things other people have screwed up cause they were "cheaper".

I think it's funny.

A year from now you'll be so busy you wish you were sitting home taking it easy.

Before I know I'll get my second 6 month raise and be up to about $17/hr... now if I can only get some friggin hours!

Thats why I got into refrigeration. Tired of starving in heating season

I used to use my overtime pay to pay off winter payments

I've seen more than one guy bringing home $1000/week in the summer and have a hard time keeping up the truck payment in the winter
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

You have to get out there and dig very hard, right now I have 5 guys that are tired of all the overtime and would love a day off, it's not in sight for at least another two weeks when it might start to slow down.

Be creative, be thorough on every call you go on, it's surprising what you will dig up and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by kim View Post
    Thats why I got into refrigeration. Tired of starving in heating season

I used to use my overtime pay to pay off winter payments

I've seen more than one guy bringing home $1000/week in the summer and have a hard time keeping up the truck payment in the winter
    Thats the way it is here too. However its not just the truck payment... its the rent.... the groceries... the money kids need for school trips and odds and ends. Its for the electric bill, the cable bill and the water bill. it never ends.... rob Peter to pay Paul. I just need to find a traveling job cause my wife doesnt want to move and I have 2 left in high school!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

There are some contractors doing well and some not so well. I do electrical, HVAC and just started doing commercial refrigeration again after an 8 year absence from it (only market I've seen any action in without price gougers). I have signed contracts for 2- 100k projects but who knows when they will start and I have to fund it so they may not happen. We haven't been real busy this winter at all, the economy is the worst I've seen in 25 years. I had to start running service calls myself and at my age it gets tough to plow through them some times. We just have to ride the wipeout and struggle to reach the surface to get some air, once we get dumped on the beach wipe the sand off and get back to work. Just do what you can to survive , take training courses to improve your skills and when the economy breaks be prepared to ride the wave to prosperity. As a business owner its important to work on your business development skills to maximize your cash flow and profit during these down times. Remember we don't usually make bad decisions in bad times. We make the bad decisions during the good times and when the economy goes sour those decisions come home to roost. Overall this will be good for us in the long run we are all running leaner and trimming credit so in the future when the economy rebounds our cash flow will improve and we can give our techs the hours they have been missing.

Well I'm considering myself lucky, I work for a small family owned company. Its been a little slow at times, but usually while I may go home early one day, I'm working past normal quitting time the next. So its been balancing out over the pay period.

Plus we just got a large renovation job, which involves taking out all the old steam radiators and boiler, with installing a new radiant floor heat system along with two geo-thermal systems.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Happens every year. Boss won't lay you off for fear of work coming in or afraid you'll look for work elsewhere. Don't want you on the clock either so your stuck between a rock and a hard place. When times are good your expected to give up your time. What do you do?

I worked maybe a grand total of 50 hours for the month of January. I spent my off hours finishing up the construction project I had to shove to the back burner last summer so, I made good use of my time. I went job searching but found few, if any, were in a hiring mood.
    Found out that several of our customers are closing their doors, clearancing out all merchandise and fixtures and not paying for past work at site. Several more have canceled their PM work for spring so, we'll have less work until summer hits us as hard as it usually does, whenever that happens.
    I've kept myself busy with odd jobs here and there, personal type stuff that doesn't pay anything other than satisfaction. Kinda hard to eat with that.
    The times I have run service calls I've done what I could and sent in reports for additional work that needs corporate approval before repair. No telling if those will be approved with our customers in some tough times right now and if not, no work and no pay.
    My wife has a job with a hospital so she is never without work, it helps a lot. I'm just having to juggle payments to creditors to keep them somewhat happy and off of my back.
    I'll just struggle along until the work comes in fast and furious this summer and put away as much as I can for the next winter doldrums.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Happens every year. Boss won't lay you off for fear of work coming in or afraid you'll look for work elsewhere. Don't want you on the clock either so your stuck between a rock and a hard place. When times are good your expected to give up your time. What do you do?
    EXACTLY!
    I hate when they make you have to run extra calls when your not on call and have plans. Try and make you feel guilty and tell you how much they pay and expect from you. But dare we expect 40 hrs a week?
    Sheesh!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    You have to get out there and dig very hard, right now I have 5 guys that are tired of all the overtime and would love a day off, it's not in sight for at least another two weeks when it might start to slow down.

Be creative, be thorough on every call you go on, it's surprising what you will dig up and sell.
    it gets tiring after a while of trying to find something to fix or better yet urgently needing to find something to fix. i got sick of it and so did all the penny pinching customers we had.

What i did was to get a job with a real company that has accounts galore. here we are in the slowest time of the year and im getting 45-50 hours a week, and all of those hours without touching one stinking filter, all service work.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

I was given Christmas bonus and told layoffs where not going to happen, 10 days later I got laid off and TWC screw my un employment up online; and haven't gotten a check yet;over a month without income.

If my wife wasn't working we would be out of our home. 2 of my close friends have lost there homes and moved into cramped apartmnets that are charging record rates for rent.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12