Post Likes

Power Direct Vent water heater

I was looking at some power direct vent water heaters and I cannot understand why the blower motor is connected to the intake air.

I thought the a power direct vent system was just like a power vent system with the combustion air taken from outside the building.

One thought was that maybe it connects to a pressure sensor to verify that the input air flow is not blocked.

I have attached a picture with the connection in question marked with a red arrow.

Another question - I am looking for some diagrams to create a CAD model of this type of power venter but cannot find good information. Does anyone know of some schematics/plans?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Funny thing on these units, the exhaust screen is NOT serviceable I bless you cut pipe. Most likely it will not need service, but why not put it somewhere it can be serviced.
    It MAY be an option to put it at the termination, I can't recall.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

3. Likes Drakke liked this post
    Post Likes
    Nobody knows the purpose of this connection?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakke View Post
    Nobody knows the purpose of this connection?
    There are pressure switches for the exhaust and the intake connected in series.

6. Likes Drakke liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    There are pressure switches for the exhaust and the intake connected in series.
    Thanks.

Post Likes
    The connection is for dilution air into the exhaust stream. Prevents condensation of moisture. Eve though the unit uses PVC for venting, it is in all reality a class III combustion vent.

9. Likes Drakke liked this post