Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johoff34 View Post
    How did you get the title of master sheet metal fabricator in 5 years? Also I've never heard of a master in hvac is that a union thing? That's impressive you should post some work on wall of pride so we can see. I've been in the trade 5 years and I'm still a noob compared to jimmyed and billg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what a Master fabricator is either. I'm a Union sheet metal journeyman so it's not a Union thing.
    I remember York had a program for employees that had some kind of master status. They were pipe fitters at the York shop.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Just because I used the word master does not mean there is a level out there. I used the word Master instead of...If it can be drawn on paper I can build it...jeeze

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    Is there no one on this forum that actually installs HVAC as a career like myself and does installs properly?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Trunk lines in residential is a stupid idea. 99% of duct work here is flex and does a fine job. I've been doing it for almost 35 years with no problems.
    Commercial is different.
    Lmao at wanting to do it right and using duct board plenums/trunk lines in the same sentence... Gees
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    Just because I used the word master does not mean there is a level out there. I used the word Master instead of...If it can be drawn on paper I can build it...jeeze

Draw yourself a company and build it the way you want, problem solved

5. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    Trunk lines in residential is a stupid idea. 99% of duct work here is flex and does a fine job.
    Trunk lines are still used here in resi. Duct board, but its still a trunk line.

Of course most people around here think a 6" flex moves the same amount of air as a 6" metal pipe at the same friction rate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

7. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I understand your concern, but you're going to have to accept that certain customers are willing to pay for extra quality you suggest, while others will want something more affordable. Flex duct has it's advantages and as long as a rat doesn't eat through it flex duct will work fine. I have some flex duct in my own house and I have no complaints.

Post Likes
    Using flex or building a metal duct system that's less than desirable isn't a question of if it works, the question is could the system work better. Most I've seen are more like an octopus.
    No one can say the flex they've run has no problems unless the system has been tested with instruments and someone that knows how to interpret the numbers. Could it work better because a leaky or restricted system costs more money to operate.

I understand the new edition of the UMC has limited the length of flex ducts. If that's not the case Ill correct myself.

A problem in the industry is while using a Ductalator is fine, not knowing how is another thing. There is no way someone can arrive at a friction number when the stuff is run the way it often is. There is a Ductalator for flex that could help performance if it was used.. After that then just solve the install problems.
    There are things I like about flex and I think it could be part of a well or OK performing system. Maybe not quite what a metal system might be but there are enough of those that the installs suck also. Many metal system will have more leaks, have no turning vanes, lack adequate insulation and the rest. In that case the flex will probably be a better shot.
    I got no advice about the mice. Install a cat I guess.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I think technically, they are allowed in kitchens, at least by IMC. Just not allowed within 10 foot of the range.

Your probably right. I haven't been there in awhile. Hey I said Beenthere!

SMW Lu49

11. Likes beenthere liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123