Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes

    New Job, The WRONG way or the CORRECT way

    I'm a HVAC installer and I work in the Southern California area. No one in California properly installs ductwork as in they run over 30 feet of flex duct from a square plenum directly off the furnace to the boot.

    The correct way to install ductwork is have a trunk line in either the extended plenum or extended plenum reducing method and have your branch ducts with no more than 6 feet of flex going to your boots.

    I am tired of every single company doing it the wrong way

    Companies want to be all high tech but when they do not compensate static pressure with their 30 feet of flex duct runs with a unit and cannot properly install ductwork

    I think they first need to install HVAC equipment properly before they start getting all high tech

    My question is I just started at a new company and I am a master sheet metal fabricator and instead of metal ductwork I want to use duct board to fabricate trunk lines

    Do I show my employer how to properly install ductwork or do I continue to do the ridiculous 30 foot flex duct runs

    I am 26 years old and have five years in the trade, I am a lead installer commercial and residential .My employer allows me to design and install all systems to my liking as in he lets me do my job and stays out of my way.

    However I have not yet done a trunk duct run because I am not sure how to go about it

    Do I just do it and explain to him why or what do I do guys help me out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,979
    Post Likes
    After you've been in the business a while and having to finance the overhead to do the jobs you may find yourself answering this question for yourself.

    Try this... Bid a job in duct board as you think the job requires. Price out your overhead and look at your fair profit percentages. Then do it again using flex like everyone else as you say. See which one your customer wants you to install then see which one he wants to pay for.

    You will soon see the answer written on the wall as you bid against other companies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,462
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    I'm a HVAC installer and I work in the Southern California area. No one in California properly installs ductwork as in they run over 30 feet of flex duct from a square plenum directly off the furnace to the boot.

    The correct way to install ductwork is have a trunk line in either the extended plenum or extended plenum reducing method and have your branch ducts with no more than 6 feet of flex going to your boots.

    I am tired of every single company doing it the wrong way
    Companies want to be all high tech but when they do not compensate static pressure with their 30 feet of flex duct runs with a unit and cannot properly install ductwork

    I think they first need to install HVAC equipment properly before they start getting all high tech

    My question is I just started at a new company and I am a master sheet metal fabricator and instead of metal ductwork I want to use duct board to fabricate trunk lines

    Do I show my employer how to properly install ductwork or do I continue to do the ridiculous 30 foot flex duct runs

    I am 26 years old and have five years in the trade, I am a lead installer commercial and residential .My employer allows me to design and install all systems to my liking as in he lets me do my job and stays out of my way.

    However I have not yet done a trunk duct run because I am not sure how to go about it

    Do I just do it and explain to him why or what do I do guys help me out.

    Those are broad brush statements--Many or Most maybe............I'm in Ca,so you are lumping me in that bunch.....But point taken

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Well it's true, I just don't know how to go about it, that's what I'm asking help with

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,462
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    Well it's true, I just don't know how to go about it, that's what I'm asking help with

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I would talk to my boss--That being said, it all starts with the proper design....Not condoning flex, but done correctly it can and does work fine.30' runs are not the problem, it is improperly sized 30' runs--I would take an existing job of his, show him the static pressure it is running @ and show him the measure air flow

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,943
    Post Likes
    long plenum don't play nice in resi. situations unless your a whiz kid. most attics don't have enough room for flex.

  7. Likes lkapigian liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Is there no one on this forum that actually installs HVAC as a career like myself and does installs properly?

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,979
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    Is there no one on this forum that actually installs HVAC as a career like myself and does installs properly?

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Once you qualify to become a Pro member you will be allowed in the locked areas. Your discussion will flourish then.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACProJoe View Post
    Is there no one on this forum that actually installs HVAC as a career like myself and does installs properly?

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I bid duct work to be installed correctly.

    Most times I bid a job that includes duct work, I lose the bid cause im higher then everyone else.
    o well no skin off my back. I dont like duct work anyhow

  11. Likes HVAC_Marc, PrimeHVACsys, hvacrmedic liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    183
    Post Likes
    I'm not surprised majority of installations are done in flex as they are in attic spaces. In my neck of the woods were just basemnet installations and no one uses flex anywhere. I would assume the cost for installation of rigid duct in an attic would be huge but I've never compared

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeHVACsys View Post
    I'm not surprised majority of installations are done in flex as they are in attic spaces. In my neck of the woods were just basemnet installations and no one uses flex anywhere. I would assume the cost for installation of rigid duct in an attic would be huge but I've never compared
    I see flex in basements too. It's sad....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    100
    Post Likes
    I am not an installer but what I have seen in attics that looks like it works is the distribution
    box design I find a lot in cookie cutter tract homes. A large mixing box on the supply end of
    the air handler with 2 very large flex ducts pulled straight and tight hooked to strategically
    placed tri boxes, then smaller flex runs to the boots. Again I only do service but am curious
    if this design is acceptable or not. I never had to verify required cfm and .5 static because
    pressures and temperatures were good. Just inspect the filter/returns to see if they look right.

    I have only seen this design in homes with open floor plans. The old bedroom hallway rambler
    have ancient traditional reducing metal trunk, last room is always hottest like in my house.
    Always wish I could rip out the old metal duct and install a distribution box system,
    another reason to buy multi head mini splits.

  15. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlginfla View Post
    I am not an installer but what I have seen in attics that looks like it works is the distribution
    box design I find a lot in cookie cutter tract homes. A large mixing box on the supply end of
    the air handler with 2 very large flex ducts pulled straight and tight hooked to strategically
    placed tri boxes, then smaller flex runs to the boots. Again I only do service but am curious
    if this design is acceptable or not. I never had to verify required cfm and .5 static because
    pressures and temperatures were good. Just inspect the filter/returns to see if they look right.

    I have only seen this design in homes with open floor plans. The old bedroom hallway rambler
    have ancient traditional reducing metal trunk, last room is always hottest like in my house.
    Always wish I could rip out the old metal duct and install a distribution box system,
    another reason to buy multi head mini splits.
    Returns in every room?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.