Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30XA discharge ball valve leaking

Anybody else seen this happen - it looks like a crap design using a refrigerant ball valve and an actuator.
    Looks like it will be fun to fix - has anyone seen a service bulletin or anything on this?
    Thanks

What I am missing something like pictures, video,or a better explanation of whats going on.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

The refrigerant ball valve on the hot gas discharge line has an actuator that opens and closes the valve to prevent migration - if you take off the actuator and linkage (which just screws on the ball valve cap threads) you have nothing more than a 2 1/2 inch refrigerant ball valve that is leaking around the part that moves to open and close the valve - there is no way of tightening the packing that I know of (If there is a special tool to do this I would be glad to purchase it)

I am to assume that all the 30xa chillers have these - I only take care of one machine that was started up 1/2006 which was one of the earlier models

I thought Carrier could have came up with something better than that. Some of the units will have 2 ball valves per compressor. I have not had one leak yet but I did have a problem with the connector where the 2 cables connect. If they got wet the valves would close while running or not open when the compressor starts. They could have at least put in a end switch on the actuator to prevent the compressor from running when closed.

I haven`t seen any leak also. Haven`t seen any bulletins either.Maybe you can find a Mueller rep and see if they can find out about repairing that ABV I know the option to change it is going to be a *itch.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead seeing as I have one of these discharge ball valves leaking like a siv, anyone else had this problem, looks like a pretty poor design, and a real pain in the ass to change. any bulletins on this?
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead seeing as I have one of these discharge ball valves leaking like a siv, anyone else had this problem, looks like a pretty poor design, and a real pain in the ass to change. any bulletins on this?
    There is a kit out that allows you to change o-rings in the older style valves to keep from having to change out the entire valve.
    UA 100

MUELLER "RETROFIT" CAP ASSEMBLY

The ball valve has a blow out proof stem which is inserted inside the valve body before welding.

It has two o-rings on the stem for a seal. Mueller makes this cap which screws on the valve body and has a seal against the body, plus a stem extension which has two more o-rings.

They call it a retrofit assembly in discussing retrofitting an existing system with a new refrigerant.

Obviously it would work where an existing valve had a stem leak.

Problem is you say your actuator screws on the valve body? I don't see where this retro-cap has any provision for the actuator to mount?

I got the above information from Mueller Industries website.

I have been approached several times by contractors to supply butterfly valves for large (4") stop valves for an evap. condenser. I wouldn't touch the application as I know only to well how o-ring stem seals can leak. High performance butterflys are a different story as they have an adjustable stem seal.

None the less selling a $3 - 400 valve into a system with a large charge is not a good liability risk to me.

Guess the vision of the Henry valves with their winged cap impressed me as a youth as being a secure refrigerant valve. )

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver79 View Post
    The refrigerant ball valve on the hot gas discharge line has an actuator that opens and closes the valve to prevent migration - if you take off the actuator and linkage (which just screws on the ball valve cap threads) you have nothing more than a 2 1/2 inch refrigerant ball valve that is leaking around the part that moves to open and close the valve - there is no way of tightening the packing that I know of (If there is a special tool to do this I would be glad to purchase it)

I am to assume that all the 30xa chillers have these - I only take care of one machine that was started up 1/2006 which was one of the earlier models
    Yeah the new ball valve was put into production the 38th week of 2007. I guess you did miss out.
    UA 100

Thanks for the replies guys my machine was built 12 week of 06 so hopefully the retro fit kit will work.

The actuator mounting bracket is threaded to the ball valve and locked down with 2 little set screws, surely Carrier thought of that when they designed this repair/retro kit.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Does anyone know what digits of the serial number depict the week and year of manufacture with these machines? Im guessing the first two are year, cant find a breakdown in the IOM. Thanks!

Use the search function it's been covered a lot.
    UA 100

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Use the search function it's been covered a lot.
    Thats how I found this thread, guess I didn't search hard enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast