Post Likes

Frosty the Coil Man...

What's your method for Defrosting a Coil,mainly Res A/C?Heat Gun,Hair Dryer,Natural Overnight,Blow Torch?Walked in on a customer today using a Hammer and Screwdriver!No B.S. He called in a Refrigerant leak,Gee,I wonder what could of caused that! But seriously,on an upright Furnace or Air Handler,electrical always seems to get wet,and some water ends up in the Blower! No easy solution.

Post Likes
    Turn the heat on. Don't let it ride the high limit to hard. Or just turn the fan on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I also turn the heat on. Works pretty well, and you can test the condensate drains!!!

Post Likes
    Fill a pump sprayer with hot water. Spray the coils as the fan runs. Or buy coil de-icer spray at the supply house.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    When the ice is thick it's going to make a mess no matter how you do it. Heat on usually goes pretty fast. We try to have the dispatcher tell the customer to turn the fan on and turn the AC off so hopefully between calling in and getting there it's thawed on arrival.
    When it's going to take an hour or more just to thaw I'll go do another call and come back.

Post Likes
    I normally disable the cooling and run fan..out here it's typically hot, so they thaw pretty quick...nice thing after is could is fairly clean..haha

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Fan on CONSTANT, wait 1-2 Hr (Run another call), return and Ta Da, defrosted.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

8. Likes epthvac liked this post
    Post Likes
    If it is a heat pump turn it on to cool then watch it as it runs and cycle it between heat and cool with the RV. It seems like if you just let it run the ice turns the refrigerant into liquid really fast and it doesn't warm up as fast. It seems like when you cycle it you get more gas in the coil and it melts faster. Its funny on an 80° day to see the liquid line frost at the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl l alcohol and water in a spray bottle unless its under 70 degrees outside and it's a heat pump,
    running in heat pump mode when it's over 70 degrees outside is not a good idea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlginfla View Post
    I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl l alcohol and water in a spray bottle unless its under 70 degrees outside and it's a heat pump,
    running in heat pump mode when it's over 70 degrees outside is not a good idea.
    That's why you monitor it ans cycle it between h&C

Post Likes
    All Good advice but,a Bad Blower Motor may have been the culprit,so that option could be out! I like the Coil de icer ,sounds like a good idea.Someiimes its hit the switch to off,see you tomorrow! Speaking of, I've never liked an A/C coil on a Furnace,no matter how good the design.JMO.