York YSCA Screw Chiller

I have a YSCA chiller tripping on "MOTOR CONTROLLER - EXT.RESET". Service contractor says I need new CPU and CM2 board, ($K). Has anybody experienced this problem before? Chiller starts but doesn't detect current load on the MCC. Also need the YS IOM with wiring diagrams. Need help and think I've come to the right place to get it!
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-14-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: removed price

Experienced many times. This warning comes up any time a starter safety trips (CM2 safety trips show up as motor controller trips), but there's way too many things that can make it trip to try and advise on causes on this forum without some pretty specific info on what's actually taking place. Even then, it won't be a real good guess from this end. What's the safety that's tripping? I'm assuming from your description that this is an electro-mechanical starter? You'll also need a full model number to get the correct IOM for this machine.

York YSCA Chiller

Thanks for your fast response. Unit is a YSCACASOCFA, running of 460/3/60. The problem moves on with the boards, since we swapped them on a second unit right next to it. CM2 board has a slide pot to calibrate load signal.(Prime suspect)

That's an "A" style chiller (they're now on "E") so I don't know if I have the IOM in a PDF file. If I do I'll send you one, if not, I'll send you the oldest thing I've got - they're all reasonably close as long as you stay with the correct control panel.

As far as the shutdown goes, I didn't get a good feel for your thought of whether it's the CM-2 or the variable resistor that's causing the problem. If it's the board, is one of the shutdown led's lighting, or can you tell what is triggering the shutdown? As far as the resistor, it has to be fine calibrated at full load to 0.9vdc - 1.1vdc between A2 and
    B2. It's way past extremely rare for the resistor or the diode bridge to go bad. Just a question and a thought. Sounds like y'all have it figured out. I'll see what I can get you in the morning.

YSCA Screw Chiller

I got your pdf's this morning and will go over them during the weekend. I just don't want to shell out 8K grand if I don't really need to. Will keep you posted.

PS:Even thought word is JCI is not supporting York products I've found many York IOM's at this link www.york.com/products/esg/YorkEngDocs/XXX.pdf, (where XXX = 700 to 800). You might want to check it out!

Confused Screw Chiller (YSDA)

I have a York model # YSDADAS3CMA screw chiller that has the error "Motor Controller - EXT. RESET". I found York Form # 160.49-PW13, page 9, that mentioned it is caused by an open safety or overload device connected between terminals 1 & 53 on Terminal block 5. (shown in attachment)

However, on my chiller, those terminal connections where never hooked to any safety device (the original jumper was never removed, still in place between terminals 1 & 53).

Did you have luck with your chiller? The literature I have does not have any additional info. Also, none of the shutdown LED's are lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is this the model with the solid state starter? Is there a tube coming up with a cap on it behind the control panel? If so there are a couple of things to check. I have worked on both types and your problem may be the board but I would like to see some more testing results before I would condemn the board totally. That is as far as I can go until you get your professional membership. SORRY Its free and well worth it so dont worry. If you are a building owner, the best advice I can give is to try to get a factory tech out, they will have the best knowledge on these. Unless of course someone else here knows a reliable company you can call. I could use a vacation but I do not think my company would dig the drive time on that one.
    "It's always controls"

Quote Originally Posted by randystoker View Post
    I have a York model # YSDADAS3CMA screw chiller that has the error "Motor Controller - EXT. RESET". I found York Form # 160.49-PW13, page 9, that mentioned it is caused by an open safety or overload device connected between terminals 1 & 53 on Terminal block 5. (shown in attachment)

However, on my chiller, those terminal connections where never hooked to any safety device (the original jumper was never removed, still in place between terminals 1 & 53).

Did you have luck with your chiller? The literature I have does not have any additional info. Also, none of the shutdown LED's are lighting.
    DUDE NO TECHNICAL HELP TO NEW OR REGULAR MEMBERS. Read the rules. SORRY
    "It's always controls"

Hey Randy,
    Does this machine have a solid state starter? 1 to 53 is an external overload circuit for electromechanical starters. It's not used with the SSS's. All those circuits are handled thru the logic board. I'm gonna send you the style A starter manual. Let me know if it don't get you pointed in the right direction.

You're right, it does have the solid state starter (I was looking at the wrong document, the one for electromechanical starters).

I'll dig thru the manual & let you know how it comes out.

Thumbs up Update on York Chiller

The starter manual was right on target!!! This chiller has been started up, according to my boss, the first time in 3 years.

Thanks for the help!

Randy