Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernby View Post
    I'm also considering a refrigerant->water heat exchanger on the hot side of my chiller or A/C unit to heat my aquariums. I almost killed my reef tank during this project, since I didn't realize how cold it was getting (below 70 deg F). I recently learned (after 20+ years in the hobby) that corals don't like being below ~77 deg F, which is very hard to achieve in a <72 deg house. I briefly installed electric heaters in the aquariums, but they were consuming about 7 kWh per day!
    I run my tanks at 80-82. Most corals dont like temps above 90. I have an internal short in a UV sterilizer that acted like a heater. I had 94 for 2 days that caused green algae bailout. Most things recovered, some died, some came back with different colors. I let my pumps and lights bring the water temp up. My house runs at 70-72 all the time.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

2. Likes Gernby liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I run my tanks at 80-82. Most corals dont like temps above 90. I have an internal short in a UV sterilizer that acted like a heater. I had 94 for 2 days that caused green algae bailout. Most things recovered, some died, some came back with different colors. I let my pumps and lights bring the water temp up. My house runs at 70-72 all the time.
    Damn ... My prior aquarium in my last house ran in the lower 80's, even with a chiller on it. However, my new systems have DC pumps and LED lighting that don't put out much heat at all.

Post Likes
    I also have Tunze DC pumps and LED lighting, plus the return pump and a sterilizer. I took out my heaters. They never run.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

5. Likes Gernby liked this post
    Post Likes
    I also have Tunze DC pumps and LED lighting, plus the return pump and a sterilizer. I took out my heaters. They never run.
    Wow... I'm surprised you would be getting so much heat out of those. Do you run a lot of head pressure? My pumps are smaller in size, and run at part throttle, since I only have a couple feet of head pressure. The sumps are located in a stairway closet (elevated), so that the overflows can run at full siphon without noise.

Post Likes
    I have about a foot of head, but I run everything except the wave maker wide open. The wave maker is pulsed 5 on/5 off.

Post Likes
    I have about a foot of head, but I run everything except the wave maker wide open. The wave maker is pulsed 5 on/5 off.
    Going way off-topic, but this is also an interesting topic...

Where are your sumps that would allow just a foot of head pressure?

I use a custom / non-conventional wave maker (no pumps), but do have a couple Gyre pumps for programmable linear flow. I don't know how much heat they contribute.

Post Likes
    How do you think a compressor hat runs above freezing work below freezing. I hate nonsense. I'm not smart but recoconize dumbass. Sorry stupid should be told

Post Likes
    Try heating water for a pool

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernby View Post

Where are your sumps that would allow just a foot of head pressure?
    In the back of the main tank

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave sulz View Post
    How do you think a compressor hat runs above freezing work below freezing. I hate ***** {ranting deleted}
    Should work great if it's not flooded. And, it has.

Back up, rethink what you say. It may not be overly efficient or pretty but the OP likes it and it works. Many things were thought of the same way in the way you talk, but are considered standard now.

Post Likes
    great work!

Post Likes
    Sorry I missed this post! That's interesting!

Post Likes
    I've really been enjoying the hot weather we've had over the last week! It gave me several days of much anticipated testing and development! It got up to 94 degrees F a couple days ago, and the "Cold-Pacitor" was able to keep the 1st floor at or below 73.2 F during peak pricing (3PM - 8PM) with just a few minutes of assistance at the end from the LG mini split.

16. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast