Post Likes

Kingston/Belleville ON, veteran looking to apprentice.

This may be a long shot by I'm trying to take all chances at this point. I'm a young veteran soon to be out of the military. I've always been fascinated by mechanical work and thinking critically about problem solving. Im very reliable and always on time.

I would like an entry level position and earn my way to an apprenticeship.

I'm looking for a shop in Kingston or Belleville ON - I've dropped my resume off to many employers with no such luck yet - if you are an employer, or know an employer who may be hiring feel free to inbox me I would love for a chance to drop a resume off and talk.

Thanks.
    Last edited by EasternTrades; 04-18-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added province

Post Likes

Post Likes
    My best suggestion is go to school and get your Gas licenses.(G3 and G2). With the G2 you're allowed to work on anything under 400,000btu.

Without having a Gas license you can't really touch most units since the majority have a Gas component. But once you get the Gas license you can start working for a company and then if things work out well they could sign you for the 313A/D depending which way you want to go. (Refrigeration(commercial) or Air Conditioning(residential)

You'll find two options for getting the gas licenses.

1) a year course through a "proper" college. Algonquin in Ottawa offers the course but speaking from experience I did not find it very beneficial(numerous reasons - costs, non related mandatory courses, time, no coop) When I wanted back into the trade I did option 2 which has worked out way better.

2) a private college that has a coop program. Himark is in the GTA and Ottawa. They offer a 4 month G3/G2 coop. One week class and next week coop. Once you're all done the course and pass then you'll have your G2 and some real world experience. Not to mention the majority of the guys in my class were hired on by their coop companies when school finished.

Last thing I'll note though is that I had two guys from Kingston on my class and they had a real difficult time finding coop placement in Kingston. (They eventually did but took a while)

I personally got hired by my coop and then after about 6 more months of proving myself they signed me as a 313A apprentice.

You can also try the union - Local 787 and see what they say/offer.

Post Likes
    I just realized that you didn't mention if refrigeration or a/c is what you want to do. If you only want to do Gas work and mechanical then you don't need to worry about the 313a/d.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tperleyr View Post
    I just realized that you didn't mention if refrigeration or a/c is what you want to do. If you only want to do Gas work and mechanical then you don't need to worry about the 313a/d.
    I'd like to get my 313D and eventually earn a red seal. Is a possible route to find an employer that would apprentice me and do distance learning for the G3/2? All while earning apprenticeship hours?

Post Likes
    I've never heard of doing distance learning for the G3/G2 cause you need the hands on practical portion too. From what I know the only options approved by TSSA are the ones I mentioned above which are both full time. Algonquin(or another big college)being 49 weeks straight or Himark(or possibly another private college) being about 4 months with coop every other week.

That being said if you found an employer that is willing to sign you as a 313 apprentice then they might consider being your coop placement for the 4 months of school.

This way you might be able to get paid for your coop, use any applicable hours towards the 313 and get your G3/G2.

Without the gas licenses you can't do a whole lot to make the company money and they may be wary of signing an apprentice without the gas. Even with a G3 you could start piping some things and a G2 you could do cleanings which means you can make the company money which makes you an asset to them vs no license at all.

May not be impossible but probably difficult to find an employer willing to do that.

Would probably be easier to start the 4 month coop gas course and try to coop with a company that also does ac (most do). Then prove yourself to them and hopefully they hire you and eventually sign you as an apprentice.

Himark does help find placements through their internal connections and coops may not get paid so companies see it as a long interview process. (That's what my coop company did and they hired me afterwards)

Just keep in mind that when I was there the guys from Kingston had difficulties finding coop placements at first. Then again it might just be cause the Ottawa location doesn't have many contacts up that way. Maybe one of the gta campuses would have better luck.

Post Likes
    I've never heard of doing distance learning for the G3/G2 cause you need the hands on practical portion too. From what I know the only options approved by TSSA are the ones I mentioned above which are both full time. Algonquin(or another big college)being 49 weeks straight or Himark(or possibly another private college) being about 4 months with coop every other week.

That being said if you found an employer that is willing to sign you as a 313 apprentice then they might consider being your coop placement for the 4 months of school.

This way you might be able to get paid for your coop, use any applicable hours towards the 313 and get your G3/G2.

Without the gas licenses you can't do a whole lot to make the company money and they may be wary of signing an apprentice without the gas. Even with a G3 you could start piping some things and a G2 you could do cleanings which means you can make the company money which makes you an asset to them vs no license at all.

May not be impossible but probably difficult to find an employer willing to do that.

Would probably be easier to start the 4 month coop gas course and try to coop with a company that also does ac (most do). Then prove yourself to them and hopefully they hire you and eventually sign you as an apprentice.

Himark does help find placements through their internal connections and coops may not get paid so companies see it as a long interview process. (That's what my coop company did and they hired me afterwards)

Just keep in mind that when I was there the guys from Kingston had difficulties finding coop placements at first. Then again it might just be cause the Ottawa location doesn't have many contacts up that way. Maybe one of the gta campuses would have better luck.
    Great info thanks. St. Lawrence college does a part time gas 2/3 license as far as I understand and so does George brown for people who are employed in the trade I think.

I could be wrong and himark I'll be looking into thanks for the info

Post Likes
    Getting your G3/G2 will show employers you willing to get in your foot in the door as a first step. Agree with Tperleyr on what was stated in this thread.

Post Likes
    I agree. Unfortunetly my last day in the Air Force is in May, and a course at himark started in April, so if nothing comes of an apprenticeship I'll be signing up for the next course! Hopefully in September.