Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temco Controls?

Question Temco Controls?

Anyone have any experience with Temco Controls?

http://www.temcocontrols.com/index.php

In particular their Tstat 5 series networked thermostats. Price seems too good to be true. Are they reliable? My application would be 4-pipe fan coils in college dorms - some with 24v on-off valves, most with 0-10v valves; all w/3-speed fans.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I was going to order one of the modbus stats once to try and the shipping was as much as the thermostat. I emailed them to see what was the reason for the shipping charge. The reason was it was shipped straight from China fairly quickly. I didn't get the warm and fuzzys about them being from China with what seemed like no stock or distribution in the US. Maybe that has changed now as what I speak of was close to two years ago.

Maybe I just didn't see it, but is there a UL listing?

I know a major control mfgr. looked at an Asian line voltage stat once that was very inexpensive but had exposed 277v. wiring under the cover.

I have used them for quite some time and we have around 500 tstats installed.
    Maurice (the owner) mis a great guy.
    The tstat 5 has gone thru many changes over the years and is much more robust than in the past but that being said it is a VERY inexpensive device.
    I use them for non critical control now such as pressure dependent vav control and small rtu's.
    We order them in 50 lots and keep sapres on hand for changeouts.
    The stat is very flexible and can be configuered with his software or any modbus communicatation program.
    I would you buy 10 or so and install then to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Quote Originally Posted by kevin stone View Post
    I would you buy 10 or so and install then to try them out.
    That was my plan... wanted to hear from someone who was familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tlp261 View Post
    I know a major control mfgr. looked at an Asian line voltage stat once that was very inexpensive but had exposed 277v. wiring under the cover.
    I prefer low voltage in the stats... keep the power wiring in the fan coil.

Hmm

A co-worker of mine is looking at this company also, but I have questions about the overall quality of the product. Are they user friendly, and safe for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by tlp261 View Post
    Maybe I just didn't see it, but is there a UL listing?

My co-worker is excited about the features that the Tstat5 has for the price, but I can't help but to be skeptical. I want to know how reliable it is, and is technical support easily accessible. I'm personally not one to jump at a product just because it has a small price tag, I'd like to know that the product is proven and reliable. Anyone have any input, I'd love to have my skepticism shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by cvdaniels View Post
    A co-worker of mine is looking at this company also, but I have questions about the overall quality of the product. Are they user friendly, and safe for that matter?

My co-worker is excited about the features that the Tstat5 has for the price, but I can't help but to be skeptical. I want to know how reliable it is, and is technical support easily accessible. I'm personally not one to jump at a product just because it has a small price tag, I'd like to know that the product is proven and reliable. Anyone have any input, I'd love to have my skepticism shot down.
    There is no Ul listing on the line voltage stats and the Tstat 5 is less than the 30v Ul requirement.
    As for the reliability they are Ok just keep a few spares and your off to the races.
    Tech support is by email if you have a few questions you can email me. i have been VERY involved with this stat for some time, we have huundreds installed.

Anyone have example simple configurations?

Folks,

Am doing some software work with Temco Tstat5c units that will be controlled via RS485 from a Linux system. Most of the complicated work is done, the web interface and the ability to read/write registers from the unit.

STUCK on a very simple thing -- and I've read all their tech documentation. If you've used a Tstats they supply T-3000 PC based software to help with setting up the unit in various heating/cooling modes. I just can't seem to reliably put the Unit into manual mode for SINGLE stage HEAT or COOL with a single speed FAN. If anyone has a saved config file they could post it would be MUCH appreciated.

John

I looked at them about 12 monthes ago, bought a few stats etc.

Maurice is a great guy, but the product didnt work, the software didnt work and it took weeks of emails to get the software sorted out so it would function.

Things might have changed by now and for the price and functionality its pretty good value but do you really want to "keep a few spares" to swap stats out?

IMHO 1 call back for a failure is too many.

I ended up passing them on to someone else for 10% of what they cost me.

Dazza

I've got quite a bit of temsco gear if anyone is interested in buying it from me. Shoot me an e-mail.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Firmware tools from ISquared.Com?

Quote Originally Posted by azzad View Post
    I looked at them about 12 monthes ago, bought a few stats etc.

Maurice is a great guy, but the product didnt work, the software didnt work and it took weeks of emails to get the software sorted out so it would function.

Things might have changed by now and for the price and functionality its pretty good value but do you really want to "keep a few spares" to swap stats out?

IMHO 1 call back for a failure is too many.

I ended up passing them on to someone else for 10% of what they cost me.

Dazza
    OK, thanks for that. I did talk to someone from ISquared.com that sells a firmware development environment for the tstats. Sounded pretty good, anyone with experience using it? I do like the idea of having more direct control over the unit...

ISQUARED also has the free version of their software , it works nicely with the TEMCO and for interfacing / graphics CATNET has a MODBUS setup for TEMCO .

Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    ISQUARED also has the free version of their software , it works nicely with the TEMCO and for interfacing / graphics CATNET has a MODBUS setup for TEMCO .
    Well not exactly free. You get a 2 hour trial on the stats and 30 minutes on their software.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast