NYC, long island job market

I have never seen the job market in this area dry up so bad. I understand it is in the middle of the winter but I do 100% commercial refrigeration. That is a rare thing in the world of mechanical companies that specialize in everything. few and far between are hiring and they try to beat you over the head with starting salary, I think it is going to get worse too. Hold on i think the next couple of years are going to be a little slimmer.

I wish i had a crystal ball to see the future ! In 2007 Things got bad at work so i wanted to train to become a hvac/r mechanic. So before signing up i had a look around and saw
    plenty of opportunity for new guys and more experienced people. Now 15 months later I am done with school and their are no jobs for a apprentice what so ever! I have seen a add or 2 for more experienced people but even that has dryed up. Now i am stuck with a school bill and no way to apply what i have learned to make money i need to pay bills.

King V

give Trane a call out in Hauppauge,and the Long Island City offices see if they are planning to hire apprentices.they are into winter main.right now especially NYC group.they are 638B Union after 45 DAYS your in the union and get on the training schedule,and into the hall one day a week.give it a shot what are they going to say NO....... big deal!Donnally...County Fair...React...PJ Mechanical...F.W. Sims.....Apollo,Bayshore not 638B...give them calls see whats up.these are all commercial HVAC companies and do no refrigeration.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Might want to start a bagel business.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Thanks for the tips, I have been to Train in hauppauge, they took an application and
    said they would call if anything opened up. I did not know of the one in long Island city
    AS for locals. I am the type of person that is very pro-active in the search for work, By
    that i mean that yes i go out every day and walk in to drop off a resume and introduce myself. Also posted a resume on many work web sites. Thanks again I need to head out now talk to you guys later!

Hey coolwhip that is funny, But what is even funnier is when i open an hvac shop of my own and start competing for the samework that you are!!!!!!!! OH you are in michigan got a bakers hat?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-LI View Post
    I have never seen the job market in this area dry up so bad. I understand it is in the middle of the winter but I do 100% commercial refrigeration. That is a rare thing in the world of mechanical companies that specialize in everything. few and far between are hiring and they try to beat you over the head with starting salary, I think it is going to get worse too. Hold on i think the next couple of years are going to be a little slimmer.
    E mail me.

I have a bachelors degree in HVAC Design, with no desire to sit at the desk. Would love to get into commercial and work up to a job foreman. I can't find anything on long island, figure i'll just wait and get into the LIRR.
    You never stop learning until you kick the bucket