Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nest 3rd Gen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtstartrex View Post
    Also besides here you go on 95 percent of the reviews from tech companies and nest is number one and ecobee is second and in some it is first and honeywell is not in the top two spots just saying
    Tech companies don't know a damn thing. They get a semi when things get applications like geofencing, wifi capability and bright shiny displays.
    I like Honeywell. You know why I like Honeywell? Was it because a magazine article, or some other techie report? Nope.
    It's because in 16 years of doing this crazy job, I've had 2 fail. Two total. Two out of probably thousands that I've touched. Both were quickly warrantied and the replacement was on the wall and operating within less then 2 hours.
    Can I say that about other brands? Others that I've had direct contact with. No, I cannot.
    I'm not part of the tinfoil hat club where I worry about consumer tracking or other things. Everything from credit cards to tvs do that these days. That is NOT why I dislike Nest. It's due to its basic architecture. It's fundamental design and how it operates and corresponds with its host equipment.
    Is it a game changer? Absolutely not. It's a fad.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

2. Likes mark beiser liked this post
    Post Likes
    Decided to go with honeywell than nest, parents benefit more from simplicity than complex. Nest can be quite challenging for someone who is not tech prone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    I like Honeywell. You know why I like Honeywell? Was it because a magazine article, or some other techie report? Nope.
    It's because in 16 years of doing this crazy job, I've had 2 fail. Two total. Two out of probably thousands that I've touched. Both were quickly warrantied and the replacement was on the wall and operating within less then 2 hours.
    I've found quite a few more dead Honeywell thermostats than that in the last 25 years, but it is typically 20+ year old Chronotherm III that still actually works, just the most or all of the LCD display segments are dead.
    The early Vision Pro thermostats had some issues with sections of the touch screen becoming unresponsive too, still controlled the equipment fine, just couldn't change some settings. Any that did fail did so within the warranty period, and it was an easy over the counter exchange at almost any supply house.

One thing I've never seen with a Honeywell thermostat is the thermostat basically go insane and do things with the equipment that cost the customer money in extra energy, or potential equipment damage.

In the few years since Nest thermostats came out, I've had more service calls for problems with them than all other thermostats combined.
    Usually the failure has caused the system to be run in a way that is extremely inefficient, ie. sub base backfeeding enough of a voltage to the O terminal to cause the reversing valve to shift to the cooling mode when heat is called for, or short cycling the system like mad, etc.
    The first 2 generations were not even capable of using the electric heat strips for emergency heat in a heat pump system without physically changing the control wiring.

Supposedly some/all of these issues have been fixed with the 3rd generation Nest, but you can still only run a humidifier, OR dehumidification, OR fresh air ventilation, but only 1 of the 3.

My first generation Ecobee Smart Thermostat has been running 2 stages of cooling, demand dehumidification, fresh air ventilation, and monitoring a condensate safety switch since before Nest even existed.
    With creative use of an add on board for the interface module, I was even monitoring the water loop temperature for a small computer cooling chiller for a couple of years, and could remotely turn the computer off from within the app if it sent me an alert that the water temperature was over the alarm temperature I set.

We installed dozens of first gen Ecobee thermostats, many running 2c/2 or 3h, systems, with humidifiers, demand dehumidification( both using the blower and/or a dehumidifier), and fresh air ventilation, and condensate safety monitoring.
    Not one has failed, or even given a hint of a problem, and they cost less than Nest thermostats.

Since Ecobee went away from the separate wall control + equipment module, we switched to Honeywell IAQ thermostats. They can do all of the same stuff + monitor the temperature split through the equipment, and do average temperature control based on relatively inexpensive wireless room temperature sensors.
    Again, I've not encountered one single hint of a problem with one yet.

Nest is shiny hipster garbage designed to look save a little energy at the expense of comfort, not a real system control.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 04-23-2017 at 11:36 AM.

5. Likes darctangent liked this post
    Post Likes
    I can't possibly imagine a thermostat knowing what temp I want the house to be. I've mentioned that to others who are big fans of the NEST, and they tell me that function can be disabled.

Sooooo, why would I want a NEST then.

I've had others say that it can do that predictive morning warm up. Honeywell and Robertshaw have been doing that for decades. But I don't want that either, it would cost more money in energy that what I do now.

You see, I don't want the house to be warm when I wake up, I want to FEEL the warm air blowing on me as I'm going about my morning things. If the house is 63, then I set the stat to run for two hours at 65. If it's 65, then I set the stat to run at 67.

Sometimes I get up earlier, sometimes I get up later.

When I get home varies greatly. If I feel hot, regardless of the house temp, I turn on the AC. Sometimes when I get home, the house feels cool, even though the stat says 78. When I start to acclimate and feel warm, then I crank the AC down.

I just can't imagine a 'smart' stat turning my HVAC equipment on and off when I want if off and on.

Sooooo, why would I want a NEST?

7. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well got the nest thermostat nest protect threw out the house, nest indoor and outside cameras, doors are all smart locks, smart door bell, complete smart house oh ya for all those people how are so scared big brother is watching you lmao
    Now I understand why you threw out your house. It has gimmicky stuff throughout it.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    It's almost like you don't know the history of NEST...

You should feel free to have whatever you want controlling your system. I'm just telling you that you shouldn't be surprised to be told the your thermostat is a problem.

The problems with NEST are fundamental to it's poor architecture. That's a direct result of them not having someone in the building that really understands efficient and reliable system operation. Again, How much did they spend on development?

That's really shocking!

I give two thumbs up to NEST for being a disruptive technology, but two thumbs down for a fundamentally bad design.

You wont find me, or anybody else that knows high performance, efficient, reliable HVAC systems putting HAL on the wall.

You've been duped. So has googol. You just don't know it yet.
    I get headaches talking to people like you. You actually think tech writers understand more about HVAC than I do. <NOT>

I like your thumbs approach to the Nest. Would point out the nest is poo hit the fan thread- that some of the 3rd gen features showed up in that time period.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I like your thumbs approach to the Nest. Would point out the nest is poo hit the fan thread- that some of the 3rd gen features showed up in that time period.
    Would also like to point out that the Nest Pro Team couldnt answer a lot of questions directly and they eventually disappeared.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I do recall the embedded software issue came up then...
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I do recall the embedded software issue came up then...
    They did answer my question about the software being open source (and provided a link) BUT considered anyone making a change to the thermostat hacking and unauthorized
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    not a Honeywell fan, I love google and nest is google and nest has a whole home and after i been reading and watching this place is a honeywell fan base only
    maybe because honeywell has proved it is a good unit for some 100 + years???

just throwing that out there

Post Likes
    Well got the nest thermostat nest protect threw out the house, nest indoor and outside cameras, doors are all smart locks, smart door bell, complete smart house oh ya for all those people how are so scared big brother is watching you lmao
    how secure is all this from hacking?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    It's not, and some schmuck will find it all out sooner or later when some 13 yr old breaks it and all their bronzed bull's balls collection gets stolen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Not at all.

Smart locks and Nest are just techno toys for morons.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234