Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 53

Thread: Nest 3rd Gen.

  1. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I meant what system is your Nest thermostat controlling? Make and model.

    They are watching you. And selling your daily activity info, and whatever else they collect. Just wait until some bug is found and by the click of a button your house is opened up for theft. It's coming.
    carrier

    If you think they are interested in a signal home lol...They are looking for the big stuff not looking for a signal house...If they want to watch me walking around naked go them I am a true believer in automation and robots and everything like... Bring it on....with todays tech we should be a lot more further then we are now

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    4,606
    Post Likes
    I like honeywell- they pretty much invented the thermostat, programmable tstat, primary control and many other control products. They did a full line of products (tstat applications )to serve the industry
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    15,621
    Post Likes

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denver/Boulder
    Posts
    2,685
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtstartrex View Post
    FYI. Nest 3rd Gen. has Geofence now that works hand in hand with its learning mode....Game changer...
    ohhhh wonderful...

    Another Tony Fadell/ google fanboy that thinks he/she is talking to Luddites.

    You have to fix the foundation before you add a second floor.(keep reading)

    Your posts are practically dripping with derision and superiority.

    First I guess I should tell you that I am also a fan of many of the technologies that google has either developed or promoted. I believe that android is the best operating system for smartphones(at least for my needs). I've also had multiple nexus phones (6p currently) and I was an early adopter of Project Fi.

    While the NEST/PEST has been a success with the public, within the industry it's thought of as a bit of a kluge. Yes, the USER interface is a significant step forward, but the EQUIPMENT interface is a joke, and the contractor interface is non-existent.

    After the insane amount of money that NEST has thrown at R&D they still don't understand how HVAC equipment really works. Their main design principal seems to be centered around turning off the equipment as much as possible.

    PS- it's not really about the thermostat, but honeywell isn't my favorite pick either. oh, almost forgot... NEST protect has a lot of room for improvement too! The UL standard for CO detectors is horrendous. Meeting that standard is just being part of the problem, not some revolutionary solution.

    My systems are controlled, protected, and monitored better than yours. Nest is more flash than substance. No amount of add on gadgetry will fix the underlying flaws of the NEST.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.


    Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!


    Boulder Heating Contractor


    For Consumers:

    For HVACR Professionals:


  5. Likes HVAC_Marc, kdean1 liked this post
  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    15,621
    Post Likes
    I've been giving every Nest thermostat I encounter a massive comfort control upgrade.

    I turn the "airwave" feature off.

  7. Likes epthvac liked this post
  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I've been giving every Nest thermostat I encounter a massive comfort control upgrade.

    I turn the "airwave" feature off.
    been doing the same...but is it me or does it seem like the 2nd Gen stats had an issue with the backplates frying??. NEST says they don't show an issue but I have like 5 of the with burnt boards

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    ohhhh wonderful...

    Another Tony Fadell/ google fanboy that thinks he/she is talking to Luddites.

    You have to fix the foundation before you add a second floor.(keep reading)

    Your posts are practically dripping with derision and superiority.

    First I guess I should tell you that I am also a fan of many of the technologies that google has either developed or promoted. I believe that android is the best operating system for smartphones(at least for my needs). I've also had multiple nexus phones (6p currently) and I was an early adopter of Project Fi.

    While the NEST/PEST has been a success with the public, within the industry it's thought of as a bit of a kluge. Yes, the USER interface is a significant step forward, but the EQUIPMENT interface is a joke, and the contractor interface is non-existent.

    After the insane amount of money that NEST has thrown at R&D they still don't understand how HVAC equipment really works. Their main design principal seems to be centered around turning off the equipment as much as possible.

    PS- it's not really about the thermostat, but honeywell isn't my favorite pick either. oh, almost forgot... NEST protect has a lot of room for improvement too! The UL standard for CO detectors is horrendous. Meeting that standard is just being part of the problem, not some revolutionary solution.

    My systems are controlled, protected, and monitored better than yours. Nest is more flash than substance. No amount of add on gadgetry will fix the underlying flaws of the NEST.
    And what do you have....

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    FYI they have the 3rd gen out now fixed a lot of things.... i am thinking besides honeywell you all are apple lovers too

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Also besides here you go on 95 percent of the reviews from tech companies and nest is number one and ecobee is second and in some it is first and honeywell is not in the top two spots just saying

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    15,621
    Post Likes
    You go by consumer reviews by people who have little to no understanding of how their equipment is supposed to work?

    Magnets that clamp on the fuel lines of a vehicle to save fuel have good reviews from consumers...

  13. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  14. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Little town in Texas
    Posts
    3,986
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtstartrex View Post
    FYI they have the 3rd gen out now fixed a lot of things.... i am thinking besides honeywell you all are apple lovers too
    You couldn't give me an apple product... Or a nest. They are all hype and lagging behind the competition.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

    All those who wander..are not lost.

    Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

    The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  15. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    11,830
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtstartrex View Post
    FYI they have the 3rd gen out now fixed a lot of things.... i am thinking besides honeywell you all are apple lovers too
    That would be coolperfect. You can look him up on the search function...
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

  16. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denver/Boulder
    Posts
    2,685
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtstartrex View Post
    FYI they have the 3rd gen out now fixed a lot of things.... i am thinking besides honeywell you all are apple lovers too
    It's almost like you don't know the history of NEST...

    You should feel free to have whatever you want controlling your system. I'm just telling you that you shouldn't be surprised to be told the your thermostat is a problem.

    The problems with NEST are fundamental to it's poor architecture. That's a direct result of them not having someone in the building that really understands efficient and reliable system operation. Again, How much did they spend on development?

    That's really shocking!

    I give two thumbs up to NEST for being a disruptive technology, but two thumbs down for a fundamentally bad design.

    You wont find me, or anybody else that knows high performance, efficient, reliable HVAC systems putting HAL on the wall.

    You've been duped. So has googol. You just don't know it yet.
    I get headaches talking to people like you. You actually think tech writers understand more about HVAC than I do. <NOT>
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.


    Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!


    Boulder Heating Contractor


    For Consumers:

    For HVACR Professionals:


  17. Likes lions_lair, billygoat22 liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.