+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testo fails to honor warranty on 523

Post Likes

Testo fails to honor warranty on 523

My first set lasted 2 weeks

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=170393

about 3 months into my second set, the low side knob stripped out,it would still turn in and out but the valve stayed closed, I never abused it or tightened it with anything other than my thumb and index finger.

I called and described the failure and was told it would be covered under warranty, so I shipped it out to them.

now, after they repaired it, they call and say it will not be covered, and I have to pay $58, so I dont even have the option of having the failed unit shipped back to me so I can run over it with my van and take pictures.

just a word to the wise, avoid this company and their products

Post Likes
    Several of my techs, and myself too, have Testo stuff and we'd had no problems with them at all the couple times we've needed to send something back. They've replaced it without any questions, but I still don't like to hear stories like yours. Makes me wonder if there's been a changing of the guard or something.

Post Likes
    I had no problems getting the first set replaced

they must think I abused it and thats why it broke, not the case

Ive never broke the valve on a standard manifold, since they arent made of plastic the electronics on the 523 are rock solid, the hose holder and manifold are junk, both failures I have had involved the manifold.

all 3 hose holders broke out of the plastic also, had to JB weld them back in.

Post Likes
    I've only seen pics of the 523. Never actually held one in my hand, but I have heard others complaining about the hose holders.

Post Likes

Angry Testo WTF

We have replaced a set of ours 3 times since we bought them once for knob being stripped right after we got them second time liquid side started leaking cracked manifold 3rd time display went blank they need to do some research on these problems all under warranty thats the only thing good about testo ill stick to the old fashion way

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    just a word to the wise, avoid this company and their products
    I appreciate the report and sympathize with your frustration, hopefully this is not their warranty protocol. I own a few Testo products and would have a real hard time giving up on them over $60.
    IMO Testo is the first instrument manufacturer to realize "Hey HVACR is cool, the tools should be cool" With great features and known accuracy to boot!
    They really should have taken care of you though.

Post Likes
    I was a little ticked off when I posted that last remark

I have a 510 and (2) 605-H2's, they are both great, just disappointed in the 523 and their handling of this, you really learn a lot about a company when its time for them to honor a warranty.

Post Likes
    I had problems with the 523 that I tried out. Buy a DigiCool.

Post Likes
    Now.......They want more than double what I paid for shipping it to them, to ship it back

Post Likes
    I offered to buy that POS when you broke it the first time.... so suffer........

Post Likes
    I have been thinking about buying a set of digital gauges. I don't mind paying for good, high quality tools, but they need to have a good warranty. Guess threads like this will help me decide which ones NOT to consider.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    I have been thinking about buying a set of digital gauges. I don't mind paying for good, high quality tools, but they need to have a good warranty. Guess threads like this will help me decide which ones NOT to consider.
    Oh, I don't know, I bet the other brands have a few less than satisfied customers, this one just happens to be on the internet.

Post Likes
    Have you sent an message to Jim B. and ask him if he could help?
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes
    I had a great expieriance with Testo customer service. It was on a combustion analyzer and only had a problem one time.

Post Likes
    Write to the State's Attorney for your particular swamp. His addr. is on the Internet. You'd be surprised how much backpedalling a company does when he/she calls them.

Post Likes
    Im just going to pay the $78 and get them back, then sell them on here or ebay

like I said I was pissed off about this yesterday and maybe the comment in my original post was a bit harsh, but I still dont feel like I abused it in any way and this should have been covered

Post Likes
    Just going by the complaints I see on that particular product swamp, I say they got a lemon there
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    I have a testo 556 digital gauge. For every day use it is a great gauge. If I hook up both clamp-on temperature probes to the same pipe, they read the same within 1 degree F. If I hook both the high side and low side gauge, the read the same. Period.

But the plastic case is not the greatest, the manual sucks, and the software only runs on one of my three computers. The software manual could use some work too.

I would buy some other probes, but the manual does not really describe what they will do or how.

They have wireless amp clamp, humidity probe, and other stuff. I have the data logging software, but it is hard to use.

Testo makes some great stuff, but their gauge sets still need some work. And they are pricy too. The strap-on temperature probe was $120.00 when I bought my first one, 4 months later my second one cost $180.00. I don't know what they cost now.

I probably won't buy another one.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    Just going by the complaints I see on that particular product swamp, I say they got a lemon there
    Glad to hear from someone who has tried these guages, I 've been wanting to buy a digital set and was looking at the Testo and the "DigitCools".
    At the AHR show last week I saw some new manifolds coming out that are milled from a solid block of aluminum. I think I'll wait for those to come out before I buy anything.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Post Likes
    seems to be lots of complaints online on those guages, I never bought them myself. I own a testo tach, only problem I had was UPS sent it around the world on me.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in