Post Likes

This doesn't seem kosher

So I diagnosed a shorted compressor on this system and noticed the wiring of it. There is a 3 pole breaker connected to this splice box with 2 single phase disconnects off it. The disconnect for this unit is shorted out and needs replaced. My gut tells me I should remove this mess (see pic) and replace it with a single phase subpanel and replace the breaker in the panel with a 2 pole. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I can't see what's going on in that wire tray very well... Do I see split bolts tapping feeders to both disconnects?

In general using two poles of a three pole breaker isn't a problem, poles trip individually anyway.

Post Likes
    Yes. Split bolts tapping feeders

Does it matter if the 3 phase power is open delta vs. WYE?

Post Likes
    Split bolts are considered bad news... They don't tend to hold up well. If your taps are the same size as the feeder then I'd just replace them with H taps or Polaris connectors and call it good.

If it's an open delta they might have used a three pole breaker on purpose because the B phase is a high leg. Other than that, delta or wye doesn't have much affect on your single phase circuit.

Post Likes
    Thanks