Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fimiki View Post
    That's good to hear and it makes sense given that such a feature is one of the selling points of an inverter-driven compressor. It makes you wonder what is the purpose of cutting the jumper cable to limit capacity in the first place.

You set it for 1 of 2 different suction line temps. To match the load better.

Could it be longer run times to remove more humidity?

The other selling point is that it's much quieter on average than other units. I've gone outside a couple of times just to make sure it's running alright, and it sits right below one of the bedroom windows.
    Remember to take a flash light with at night time to check it. So you can find it. LOL
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    That's good to hear and it makes sense given that such a feature is one of the selling points of an inverter-driven compressor. It makes you wonder what is the purpose of cutting the jumper cable to limit capacity in the first place.
    assuming duct work is correct for the size you limit the system to... it would be the only way to properly charge the system.

Could it be longer run times to remove more humidity?
    how low in capacity can it go? Most are about 40% total. On say a low load rainy day i cant see a 2-2.5 unit with 2000cfm doing a very good job but, i could be wrong.

That brings another question how can you maintain a low suction pressure/temp with a constant cfm? Is the out door fan variable as well. Even with a txv capable of doing 1.5-5 tons im having a hard time imaging how the air flow would come into play. One thing is for sure with the proper charge it will never flood. I could imagine this compressor hunting quite a bit though.

Fixed quotes..
    Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Core_d; 05-23-2017 at 07:57 PM.

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I had an ECM Motor in a Lennox and it had multiple taps on it for Fan speeds and yes it would still ramp up and down on the humidity and the duct temperature in heating mode.
    I only have to make it work till I retire.

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Use a 2 stage 'stat, a SPDT relay and now you can have a two speed fan to go with the modulating outdoor unit. Just pick your speeds based on BTU needs......

7. Likes Greg Lykens liked this post
    Post Likes
    I went to a "counter day" yesterday and liked what I heard. The unit seems to be very forgiving. It is an ideal unit for an older home that has some old "heating only" ductwork, which means it is sized to samll for AC. The unit modulates in 1% increments to get a 49 degree (what the rep said) suction line temp. So it truly modulates down to 25% capacity. My boy said why not just put in all 5 ton units since it will modulate down to 1.25 tons. He said they are working on that, but it would cost a 1000 dollars more, but concievably, it would work.

Sounds to good to be true.......

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lykens View Post
    I went to a "counter day" yesterday and liked what I heard. The unit seems to be very forgiving. It is an ideal unit for an older home that has some old "heating only" ductwork, which means it is sized to samll for AC. The unit modulates in 1% increments to get a 49 degree (what the rep said) suction line temp. So it truly modulates down to 25% capacity. My boy said why not just put in all 5 ton units since it will modulate down to 1.25 tons. He said they are working on that, but it would cost a 1000 dollars more, but concievably, it would work.

Sounds to good to be true.......
    Would probably have oil return problems if it ran at 25% for an extended period of time.
    Contractor locator map

11. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Would probably have oil return problems if it ran at 25% for an extended period of time.
    Brought up a good point. Called the rep. They have 5 ton condensors on 2 ton coils. Ran them for a year like that. No problems.

Bosch Boilers are good and reliable as stink. I think they are well thought out.

Reason they got into the market? It is because Geo is about dried up since ther isn't tax credit for Geo units anylonger and those will be going away in the US, he suspects.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lykens View Post
    Brought up a good point. Called the rep. They have 5 ton condensors on 2 ton coils. Ran them for a year like that. No problems.

Bosch Boilers are good and reliable as stink. I think they are well thought out.

Reason they got into the market? It is because Geo is about dried up since ther isn't tax credit for Geo units anylonger and those will be going away in the US, he suspects.
    They probably only ran a 5/8" or 3/4" vapor line then. As a 1-1/8" wouldn't return enough oil never running at more then a 2 ton capacity.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    What type of compressor do these have in them? Does Bosch actually make the compressors? Does anyone know what country these are made in?

I have a Bosch washing machine that was made in USA, so that would be nice, but Germany is good too. I would be leery (or at least a little disappointed) if they are made anywhere else.

Note... I just went to their website and stole a couple of pictures from it. Here's what the thing looks like...

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

15. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    this is a long shot question... but does any one know, or can anyone venture a guess as to how parts availability will be for these units in the short term?

IE are dealers going to have to overnight a new board from some nevada warehouse shipping it all the way to the east coast? i know bosh has a ton of factory service centers in many major metros... so maby parts would be available to dealers locally through them?

17. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    What type of compressor do these have in them? Does Bosch actually make the compressors? Does anyone know what country these are made in?
    According to the spec sheet it's an inverter driven rotary compressor from Mitsubishi. It looks like they are manufactured by SCI (Siam Compressor Industry) in Thailand for Mitsubishi. I'm a little confused by the terms, because SCI's website states that they manufacture both rotary and scroll compressors, but isn't a scroll compressor a type of rotary compressor? In any case, based on how it looks, it seems to be their "DC Twin Rotary Compressor". Here's the blurb:

This advanced technology can result in the combination of highly powerful and smooth performance through the latest innovative solution of "Twin Mechanism". This mechanism are done by balancing torque of two compression chambers in a revolution which can operate at the highest efficiency with extremely low vibration and low noise. Moreover, they are compact sizes, lightweight, and wider range of operating area than other rotary compressor. With our special design, we use selective raw material and meticulous process to ensure superior performance and reliability.
    Last edited by fimiki; 05-26-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: found blurb

Post Likes
    Scroll and rotary compressors are very different, the similarity is in eccentric rotation (with regard to the fixed scroll or case).

The Bosch condensers do have variable speed outdoor fans.

Oil return at low capacity is accounted for, if unit runs at low capacity for a given amount of time the compressor will speed up for a while to return oil. They also specifiy oil traps if you are going up more than 19 feet to indoor coil.

I was just at a class on these systems and was impressed. They had a system set up for us to look at while it ran (it was getting it's power from two separate 110vac outlets). A 3 ton unit was running at 20Hz, 2.2amps (230vac) and supply temp from indoor unit was 54 degrees (70* ambient). That 2.2 amps is compressor AND odf. Maximum amp draw we saw was when the rep putit into charging mode (unit ran at 85Hz 10 amps - amp draw is non linear, it begins picking up more steeply at around 50Hz) at this speed it had about 43* supply temp. Unit was also extremely quiet - the air handler was much, much more noisy than the condenser.

I wonder (like OP) what the experience has been for anyone who has installed these units? They seem very nice.

Post Likes
    I just been to 2 classes on it. Yesterday's had a running sample. We got to play with it and abuse it.

They say it is a Mitsu compressor and drive, rest made by Midea. There is an oil return cycle like other varaible speed systems. It went into one while we were playing with it.

The 3 ton has a 2 speed PSC motor, the 5 ton has an 8 speed ECM. The display can tell you what speed it is on. On the 3 ton, it reads 4 for low and 8 for high. Low is definitely low, really quiets the fan compared to high.

21. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast