Clean effects - Trane - need for Filters

Does anyone know where I can get filter for my cleaneffects system by TRANE? I need these filters replaced. Is there anyone who sells them? Any aftermarket replacement? All info is appreciated. Thanks

MGriffin0711

I assume your referring to the pre-filter, as far as I know there is no after market replacement. You would have to contact your local Trane dealer. Why do they need to be repaced?

Cleaneffects needs replacement filters

cleaneffects filters (there are 2 per unit) are impossible to clean (despite the advertised easy cleaning claim). The white filters quickly become black and the simple vacuum or wash as recommended does nothing to correct this. I have heard from others with the same problem.

There must be filters available out there which serve as replacement. I cannot believe that a plastic filter costs $xxx per pair (per Trane). Given they are made in China I estimate the unit cost of production is closer to $x-$x per pair. Delivery is another $xx. Total cost is around $xx-xx per pair. Therefore I expect a replacement to cost around $xx per pair and the $xxx list cannot be justified. There must be someone making these now.

Please read site rules. No prices in post.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-03-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Removed prices.

It sounds like you are talking about the collection cells, and again, you are not going to find an after market replacement. How long has the system been in? There was a recall on some of the collection cells though not for this reason. Your installing contractor should be able to help you with that

Its still a proprietary design.

Trane gets what they want for them.

And since its not a normal replacement item, it will have a higher cost to it.

What you expect them to cost, and what they do, will be 2 different things.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In the first place some discoloration and staining is normal. If you follow the correct cleaning procedures then the color does not affect performance. Second, they are not simply filters. They are electricaly charged by the unit and contain resistors.

If you happen to have a air compressor available just lightly blow the filters out and replace them in the EAC and let them do there job, If you rinse them with water be sure to let the blower motor dry them out before you turn the EAC back on or you may short the unit. as been mentioned the discoloration should not be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by mgriffin0711 View Post
    cleaneffects filters (there are 2 per unit) are impossible to clean (despite the advertised easy cleaning claim). The white filters quickly become black and the simple vacuum or wash as recommended does nothing to correct this. I have heard from others with the same problem.

There must be filters available out there which serve as replacement. I cannot believe that a plastic filter costs $xxx per pair (per Trane). Given they are made in China I estimate the unit cost of production is closer to $x-$x per pair. Delivery is another $xx. Total cost is around $xx-xx per pair. Therefore I expect a replacement to cost around $xx per pair and the $xxx list cannot be justified. There must be someone making these now.

Please read site rules. No prices in post.
    manufacturers are getting more proprietary, not less. i wouldn't expect to see after market clean effects cells, ever. they are designed to last a very long time, so you shouldn't need to replace them unless they are shorted out.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

can some one elaborate how filter can be used for long time .My understanding is once black soot is formed on any filter it has to be replaced. How black soot is removed by cleaning? I am looking for answer.

Quote Originally Posted by enervac View Post
    can some one elaborate how filter can be used for long time .My understanding is once black soot is formed on any filter it has to be replaced. How black soot is removed by cleaning? I am looking for answer.
    These aren't media filters. It's a EAC collection cell. Dust particles are charged by passing by high voltage wire grid. They are then attracted to a oppositely charged collection cell. The cell is usually made of aluminum (the ones I've seen). The dust is removed by cleaning, usually by rinsing in water. Of course some types of dirt are not easily removed by just water, or even a mild detergent and water.... so some permenant discoloration could occur but shouldn't affect it's operation.

I hope I explained it accurately.