+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing walk-freezer

Post Likes

Sizing walk-freezer

I have a 12x14 x10 walk-in cooler that customer wants converted to a freezer for Ice Cream! Cooler has an isulated floor and heater around door frame! Product is comming in at 28deg. and is short term storage! Using heatcraft sizing chart I came up with 18000 BTU'S @ -25 suction. supply house quoted me a CZTO55L6CF AND 2 LSF090BK EVAPORATOR COILS!! aM i SIZED PROPERLY AND WILL THIS EQUIPMENT GET ME THER!!?

Post Likes
    Ice cream is coming is at 28 degrees? It needs to get to -10 pretty quick. Dunno that 18k is going to to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    http://boxload.tecumseh.com/

this came up with 15,000 with heavy load.

whats under the floor?

Post Likes
    Be very careful when a customer tells you what he wants, because he may not have given you enough information to give him what he needs.

Ice cream coming in at 28 Deg F is not yet ready for storage because it's not yet frozen. It needs to be hardened first, typically at -20 Deg F and then stored at -10 Deg F. Depending on the butterfat content of the mix and the percent of overrun of the product, the freezing requirements vary.

You also need to know what the maximum input per day of 28 Deg F ice cream would be and how quickly it needs to be hardened. That can be a significant load for the system. Usually for smaller opertations overnight or 12 hours is adequate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Be very careful when a customer tells you what he wants, because he may not have given you enough information to give him what he needs.

Ice cream coming in at 28 Deg F is not yet ready for storage because it's not yet frozen. It needs to be hardened first, typically at -20 Deg F and then stored at -10 Deg F. Depending on the butterfat content of the mix and the percent of overrun of the product, the freezing requirements vary.

You also need to know what the maximum input per day of 28 Deg F ice cream would be and how quickly it needs to be hardened. That can be a significant load for the system. Usually for smaller opertations overnight or 12 hours is adequate.
    Thanks for expanding ice. Been a while since I've sized a blast freezer but I knew 28 degree ice cream... 18k nope. They'd have milkshakes. Just take me half a day to calculate and like you said, I didn't think about how often they were loading, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

6. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would not use the quick sizing chart for this. That is more for holding freezers.

Google Long load calculation and do all the calculations by hand.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I would not use the quick sizing chart for this. That is more for holding freezers.

Google Long load calculation and do all the calculations by hand.
    That's why I said he needs to get more information from the customer before selecting equipment for this job.

I did a quick sample for a detailed load calculation using the Tecumseh Boxload program: http://boxload.tecumseh.com/BoxLoad.aspx

I used 1000 lbs/day of ice cream entering at 28 Deg F and pulling down to the box temp of -10 Deg F in 24 hrs. Based on 18 hr/day run time and a 10% safety factor the program came up with a required capacity of nearly 32,000 Btuh at -20 Deg F.

nanotech-ice-cream-freezer.pdf

You can download similar programs from Trenton, Kramer, Witt etc but I like the Tecumseh program because it's online.

http://boxload.tecumseh.com/BoxLoad.aspx

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in