Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post

What I find interesting is plastic was such a poor conductor, but now it seems to be an acceptable means vs. metal, plus the added expansion contraction of plastic with the fine 'fins' helps break scale off vs. metals....

I find that they use plastic in those munters unit interesting it is a poor conductor of heat.

These units from a near by data center have a more traditional pad system the large honeycomb fibrous ones like you would find in a large humidifier but then goes through an aluminum heat exchanger similar to this

They also have DX when needed

UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    The plastic exchange ducts are fairly easy to get rid of mineral buildup but never get it all. I have a brush with a wood handle and just vibrate it over the ducts. They damage easily and are affected by sunlight.
    Buttwheat, that equipment reminds me of when I did controls and startup on about 45 of them ( somewhat smaller) at a prison way back. Excess water was used to lessen minerals in the sump. The instructions were to adjust a water valve for excess water of one liter/min. That's 45 liter/min. that water was directed to roof drains that collected in a field. That field shortly became a lake.
    In NM the water usage is a big concern. It's said the water consumed at the four corners power plant consumes for refrigerated air units 1/3 less water per unit of cooling (whatever that is) than an evap cooler. There is a serious move here to mechanical cooling. Along with the poor performance when the RH > 40%. and with mineral buildup beginning a few weeks after startup affecting the evap's ability to cool and deliver rated air they are problematic.
    I just consider evaps to be maintenance intensive. Takes about three times longer than a refer unit on startup. Even though my first stage is indirect, it's only runs in mornings before kicking into direct evap.
    Reminds me I need to replace the pads this year. 12"x40"x48" I think. They will run about $130. Along a unit like mine with both direct and indirect is very expensive. I don't know current costs.
    I keep saying I'll get refer air some day....
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

3. Likes GoCougs liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12