Thread: HELP with Trane XR80 fault codes -NOT DIY!!!

Post Likes

HELP with Trane XR80 fault codes -NOT DIY!!!

This is NOT a DIY question. I am a professional contractor C.E.T. (Canada, Certified Engineering Technologist). I just don't have these Trane codes in my back pocket and the local Trane distributor is closed today. Probably getting ready for the Super Bowl.

Need help with the fault codes for a Trane XR80, specifically code 21. This furnace is in the home of an older relative and I don't want them to remove the blower door to read the codes in case they don't get it back on properly before I get there.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    There are several models called XR80. I don't see any code 21 in the one I looked at. Get your post count up and apply for pro status. Then you will get better answers.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    I thought the basic description of the codes were printed on the wiring diagram inside the service door on the furnace.

That board might be manufacturer by White Rodgers (my XV80 is). On my Carrier Weathermaker I used to have, I think 21 was either flame roll-out or flame sensor fault or it was a pressure switch or auxillary dafety switch fault.

I found the fault codes we of limited use because what might be a pressure switch could also be a bad board a blocked flue or a problem with the ID fan.

But that's just my expereince troubleshooting my old furnace and I'm not a pro, so take it with a gran of salt. Althouhg I work on and troubleshoot industrial equipment and control systems, but not as a service tech.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the fault code. I suspect HVAC techs were troubleshooting furnaces that just used relay logic only long before they had a little red LED.

Post Likes
    There are no codes like that for that furnace.Hope this helps.
    2 flashes-Systemm lock out
    3 flashes-Pressure switch stuck open or closed
    4 flashes-Open high temp. limit switch
    5 flashes-Flame sensed without gas valve
    6 flashes-115 volt polarity reversed
    7 flashes-Gas valve circuit error
    8 flashes-Low milivolt signal at flame sensing rod

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply. From your list of codes, it sounds like he probably meant code 3 rather than codes 2 and 1.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by kenkenwell View Post
    This is NOT a DIY question. I am a professional contractor C.E.T. (Canada, Certified Engineering Technologist). I just don't have these Trane codes in my back pocket and the local Trane distributor is closed today. Probably getting ready for the Super Bowl.

Need help with the fault codes for a Trane XR80, specifically code 21. This furnace is in the home of an older relative and I don't want them to remove the blower door to read the codes in case they don't get it back on properly before I get there.
    how'd ya get a code 21

isn't there just an LED light that blinks, if so it aint gonna be 21 blinks!

Post Likes

TRANE XR80 Furnace

3- Red Light Flashes. - Pressure Switch Error.
    I am having a hard time finding any information on further trouble-shooting this problem.
    Do you guys have any hints ?

Thanks ahead of time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldhb View Post
    I am having a hard time finding any information on further trouble-shooting this problem.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Call a pro before you hurt yourself or your family.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldhb View Post

Thanks ahead of time.
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site.
    Please read Site Rules

Thread closed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in