Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Job Interview

Haha, it was his idea to replace the board. He's the maintenance manager and he said 9/10 times in that situation it would be the board. I just need to get back into my hvac books and apply them to my job. I doubt they would pay for that.

Get good at reading schematics & understanding sequence of operation. Ask yourself why it won't do what it's suppose to do...then prove your answer to yourself. Bad board? Prove it before you replace it. Test the output. Jump it out. Just get your head in the machine; that's the main thing.
    If you can't push; pull... If you can't pull; GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclmnop View Post
    Get good at reading schematics & understanding sequence of operation. Ask yourself why it won't do what it's suppose to do...then prove your answer to yourself. Bad board? Prove it before you replace it. Test the output. Jump it out. Just get your head in the machine; that's the main thing.

You nailed it. It is impossible to be a good troubleshooter without understanding sequence of operation. Everyone that guesses at what is wrong with a piece of equipment is saying they do not understand (or possibly they do not want to understand) the sequence of operation of that equipment. Sure, a blind nut can find a squirrel now and then (oh...swap squirrel for nut ) but that's luck, not troubleshooting.

Apartment maintenance is a good place to get sequence of operation down pat. Listen and watch the furnace operate while you're changing filters on it and replacing the washers in the nearby bathroom sink. You should have that sequence memorized. When it doesn't do what you expect it to do, you'll have a strong foundation of where to begin looking for the problem.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I agree when people complain about have to lean "Theory" they need to remember it's being taught to you so you understand the "Why" this separates the true professional From the Parts replacers.

The guys who never ask "why" are "blind squirrels
    If you help others then you are a Success

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123