Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview

Question Job Interview

Hi my name is Justin and I've got a job interview on monday. I'll be working for an apartment complex installing and doing maintenance on split-type systems. I just got my associates and I would like some pointers going into the interview. What things should I know and any other tips. I know the theory pretty well, but the practical side I'm pretty limited. Also what tools should I pick up? I literally have no tools. Amp meter and multimeter? Gauges? Thanks

Justin in Ann Arbor

don't worry about tools yet..when you are %100 sure u have the job then ask what tools the company provides.

I agree with yellowirenut, don't get anything until you see what the employer will provide. I am in a similar job, the apartment owner provided gauges, evac pump, etc. I had to provide wire cutters, pliers, etc., also the large hammer for the more difficult repairs.

Going into the interview. What questions can I expect? I'm hoping they could provide the tools, my wallet is getting pretty light.

Sounds like your heading in the right direction Jujo. however, it would be nice to know what part of the world your coming from and maybe a little history wouldn't hurt.

couldn't tell much from your profile.

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I went to Washtenaw CC and I have "HVAC Excellence certificates in Commercial Refrigeration and A/C". I have no tools and I don't have much experience on working on units.

Almost all of the apartment jobs I've seen require few or no tools of your own. This would be a good place to "cut your teeth" in the industy. I think it is a common practice for the apartment managment to require you to live on site. The free or discounted housing is also part of your pay in many cases. In this setting, you should see the same system over and over. After mastering that type of system, installed that way, you will likely have to move around to see other types of systems.

Go into it with a attitude that show what you just said Back that up with I attuned that your willing to do your time and work your butt off. Your new DON"T go in cocky with a these are my demeans and I won't."

Wait to see what you'll have to buy.

Also to get your self some background on tools post in TOOL FORUM.

good luck
    If you help others then you are a Success

Smile Thanks

Hey you guys have been awesome. I didn't expect this much of a response. Can any of you tell me what sort of questions I can expect from this interview? I'm pretty nervous and I really want this job. Thanks for all the quick responses.

if your just starting out and they know that not many intimidating questions are going to be asked.

just what you know, if you have tools, etc. is there someone else working there to teach you?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

If they ask you what tools you need ST tell let them know your wait to find out what tools they supply, Let them know what tools you work with as related to HAVC already.

They might ask "can you have the following tools when you start or shortly after. It shouldn't be a big list. What they're looking for here is are you coming to work and make a commitment to the trade.

Relax, be honest, seems like you have a good attitude. And when your green most people hire for your attitude and ability to learn and work hard

Talking Boom Shacka Lacka

Alright well I just got back from the interview and I start tomorrow! Thanks for all the tips. It was an easy interview and the guy was really cool. I'm only starting at part time but if I show that I'm getting better they'll hire me on full time on call. He also said I would just mainly need hand tools. What tools should I get? I start tomorrow at 8:30 so I need some help quick. I also will be turning apt's. Hvac is only part of the equation. Anyone with the same job as a maintenance guy at an apartment please tell me the tools and gear I'm going to need. Thanks

A good Item is a six in one screw driver.
    Common Pliers Needle Nose, vise grips, Pry Bar (with an curve for set doors) set of open end Wrench's, and a 3/8 socket set. hammer, Chanel locks Clamping Multi Meter

For a Start

Congr. ANd hope it works out. Stay active on This site there's great deal you can learn form the guys here. also JOIN RSES is a great neworking and leaning Org.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast