Question pellet stove savings????

Hi everyone,

we are looking at getting a pellet stove to help with heating cost.
    I now use a heat pump.

at the dealer I was told that it would pay for itself in 2 years.

could anyone help me....

Thanks
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lisag1222 View Post
    Hi everyone,

we are looking at getting a pellet stove to help with heating cost.
    I now use a heat pump.

could anyone help me....

Thanks
    Lisa
    You have to ask the dealer the cost for delivered BTU and then figure the pellet cost+ your time to handle pallets of pellets.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I would certainly like to see those number and how he got them. It all depends on what you are paying for your current fuel. There are several places you can go to compare the cost of the fuel you would pay for pellets to your current cost of your fuel. Quadra-Fire offers one on their web site - www.quadrafire.com. Look under choose a fuel and you will find the fuel cost com.parison. Good luck

granted what your paying for the pellets comes into play (get the good ones-cleaner burn).

Long as you don't mind the daily ritual of feeding the hopper, I have heard there is yes, significant monthly savings

The area that you live in also factors in on your savings.

I live in Ga

thank you to everyone!!!!

I live in Ga. just outside of Social Circle. It is only cold for a few months here. I have a heat pump and my bill runs about 150-250 during the cold months. when talking to the sales guy at the store he said that each 40lbs bag would get me 40 hours of heat. I could get pellets in bulk for $239.00. he said this would be enough for a winter maybe I would need a few more but said they were cheaper in the summer if I had a place to store.

I went in looking for a wood burning stove but he said that for a female the pellet would be easier. and better for the money.

when I looked at the savings on quadra-fire's website. the savings look like they would be huge but it is for electric....I have a heatpump and the strips only come on when it gets really cold. not sure if that would be a good comparison for me.

I am confused!!!
    Lisa

Hi everyone,

Thanks
    Lisa
    I'll bet the dealer gets their money back faster than that!

But if they are talking about YOU, I wouldn't take their word for it.

The prime piece of informtion I'd want from you would be: how often do you use resistance heating during cold weather?

I'd guess your real savings are going to come during those periods. If you have gas from an efficient source as a back up source of heat for the periods when your heat pump isn't effective, your savings will be small.

A second way you can save is by spot heating a portion of your living space and letting the rest get cool or cold. But recognize that the main savings there is that you are accepting a lower quality of heating in your home. Whether you use pellets, gas or oil for that spot heating is of less importance than the fact that you would be heating only a portion of your home.

Frankly, my reaction to the two year claim is what other half truths they were willing to tell you in order to make a sale. I'm not impressed.

Cool it's not always about savings.....

Most people who bought pellet stoves from me operate them at a higher room temp. than previously, thus reducing their payback. Why? Because it feels so good!

If you don't operate it at the same room temp. as before you won't know your real savings. Heat pumps have to move a LOT of air. All that moving air can also tend to cool you by evaporation and convection. A zone heater like a pellet stove will warm a few rooms to where you would not want that big fan blowing all the time. If the room with the pellet stove gets too warm, use the ducts to re-distribute the extra heat. You take the heated air and mix it with the rest of the stale air in the home, filter it then re-distribute it. This keeps the Combustion Appliance Zone from overheating and spreading the joy.

If you want to save money with that heat pump, have the ducts properly sealed and tested.
    HTH,

Your climate is much like our's here in Virginia. Heat pumps only use aux. heat when temps are below 40. We only have one month in which the high temps are below 40 and only 10 other weeks that the temps even dip below 40 at night.

If you add the $2-4k for the stove and install plus, using his numbers, $239 per year for pellets, it would take a much longer than 2 years to get any return on your investment.

Ask him to put it in writing that you will get your money back in 2 years, if not will he pay the difference.

Thanks!!!!

I think I have decided not to get the pellet stove. If I do then I will find someone that is not just telling me anything to make a sale!

Thanks
    Lisa

when I looked at the savings on quadra-fire's website. the savings look like they would be huge but it is for electric....I have a heatpump and the strips only come on when it gets really cold. not sure if that would be a good comparison for me.
    Take the electric cost and divide it by about 3.5. That'll be your cost to run the HP in Georgia's relatively mild climate.

I have recently been talked out of buying a pellet stove and into a gas stove. I had a wood burning insert in my house that was taken out buy the previous owner so I had to put someinthing in. The salesman actually talked me out of getting a pellet stove for my application because he said in our area there was a shortage of stoves which was driving the price up and could take up to 6 months to get one. The cost of the pellets also seems to jump up and down and if you don't have a place to store them they can be a hassle. I did some shopping and found out he was right. I got my gas fire place installed Jan 10th and love it and I have already noticed a drop in my heating bill (average was about $220.00 and last month dropped to $160) plus my house is staying much warmer.