Post Likes

replaced 30" anode rod with 46" anode rod, was this a bad idea?

I have a 50 gal. hot water heater. The distance from the top of the tank to the flush valve is 47 1/2". I just removed the old anode rod which was only 30" long and replaced it with a 46" anode rod. It went in just fine and I did not feel it bottom out on the tank bottom so wonder if it is OK to leave it in or if I need to shorten it?
    Anyone know a reason to shorten the rod or can I leave it as is?
    Thanks,
    Olddawg

Post Likes
    It'll be fine. Forget about it
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

3. Likes Olddawg liked this post
    Post Likes
    HVAC-Marc
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Glad to hear that there is no issue or problems that might happen in the future. I had a concern that the rod may be too close to the bottom of the tank and too close to the gas burners underneath it and might cause issues to the rod being heated up to much or to the function of the rod in protecting the tank. In addition, I wondered, as mineral sediment builds up at the bottom of the tank and comes in contact with the rod, if that would cause any issues.
    Also, I wonder why AO Smith put such a small rod in to begin with?
    Thanks for the expert help.
    olddawg

Post Likes
    Even if the rod contacted anything it wont affect the function of it or the tank. It is softer than the surrounding material and, worst case, sediment may soften the tip of the rod. Manufacturers use only a short rod because that's what the engineers determined would be the minimum needed to protect the tank. The rod you bought is designed for many tanks, short and tall.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

6. Likes Olddawg liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks again for the great info and advice.

8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post