Post Likes

Controls and Mechanical?

I have been a controls service technician at Johnson Controls for 1 year now. I had no idea what a control technician did upon accepting the job but i could not turn down the package! 1 year later i've gained 20lbs and found that this type of work just is not for me, I am not really into computers/programming and i personally enjoy turning wrenches. Previously I was doing residential hvac and plumbing, and i guess i didnt realize how much i enjoyed it until i left. Does anyone do a combination of mechanical work and controls? I do find what i do interesting, but 8 hours of computer work is not me. Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    Well as a guy that's been at it for 35 years let me tell you I wish I got into controls a long time ago when offered. My body wishes I did. The future is automated. You can do both but usually it's service and controls. I wouldn't move.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    You have a great opportunity and may regret changing careers. I've worked for a few DDC companies and I would recommend making a move to a smaller one. Many of them ask their techs to do both controls and mechanical. While the larger companies have a very bold line separating who can do controls work and who can do mechanical. Having a mix of both may make the job a lot more enjoyable for you.

Also, install work usually requires you to move around more. Unless you are programming a job, you will need to climb into AHUs to test sensors and grab a ladder to check VAVs. I've done install and service and from my experience, install techs are more active. You may want to ask if there is an opening in JCI's install team.

Good luck!

Post Likes
    I do both. Some days it's graphic updates, bird dogging comm issues, reprogramming plant controllers since installers didn't have a clue. Other days chiller service, RTU PMs, PIU repairs, etc. pretty cool and I enjoy it. Some guys are one or the other and hate the other whatever it may be. Makes you so much more valueable as a technician. Guys need to learn to do multiple jobs and diversify as much as possible in this economy.

Post Likes
    ac, are/were you Union?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I am non-union and never have been, I have been thinking about joining. I have thought about looking into our install division, maybe that's a good idea for me. I don't necessarily hate the work, I just hate that soooo much of it is computer based. I truly miss using tools and working up a sweat. However at 23 I hear the old guys tell me I'm crazy all of the time. We will see, if they didn't take care of me so well I would've be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I believe the Trane Franchise in DC and the Trane Branch in Baltimore are Union. If the Controls side of either is Union, you may be able to do both Mechanical and Controls without any problems.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Have you guys seen the IBEW trying to unionize HVAC controls?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    you got it good man stick with it, your with a great nationally recognized company. People are starving to be in your position. Lets trade spots, going home sore everyday aint fun either, and you'll still gain weight no matter what if your not eating healthy/exercising

Post Likes
    Stay controls so you can still hold a cup of coffee in the morning i wish went the controls route, most of my work has been larger tonnage , I like it but I feel it every morning,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I am the HR Manager for Piedmont Service Group and CMS Controls in Raleigh, NC. We do both and would love to talk to you! Please email me at LHorton@piedmontsg.com for more information. We look forward to hearing from you soon!