+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FROSTY!!!!

Post Likes

FROSTY!!!!

Went out on this call no heat.

Post Likes
    Yeah thats a good one, i like how the grill marks show.

Thats about all i want to do to it, take a picture

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Yeah thats a good one, i like how the grill marks show.

Thats about all i want to do to it, take a picture
    Bad three way valve I just turned it off and quoted them a replacement unit. Come to find out when the property owners put these in they bought extras. So they just had us install the new one.

Post Likes
    who the hell buys extra reversing valves. I don't even carry one on the truck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crowemagnum View Post
    who the hell buys extra reversing valves. I don't even carry one on the truck
    No its stranger then that. They did not buy extra valves they bought an extra Heat pump. I would not change the valve on a unit of that age any way

Post Likes
    that makes more sense kinda. how old was the spare unit

Post Likes
    I do not know construction put it in. I am assuming as old as that one they said they bought them all at the same time

Post Likes
    late 1980's

QN
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    i see this alot,its about the only snow we see!people go ape sh!t when they see frost on units!
    i didnt know heat pumps were that far north!

Post Likes
    must have known they were junk to buy extra's

Post Likes
    Who has the money to buy an extra heatpump to just sit?

Post Likes
    Not that uncommon for larger owners. It often done as a budget CYA. I you have Cap Ex money to then you buy extra. The use it or loose it budget method. Your screwed if you go over and screwed if you go under.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes
    Heat pumps that far north? I'm in Montreal and we use them all the time. Although it can go as low as -30, we get a lot of days where it is warm enough for a heat pump to work fine. (A heat pump is good until about -12 or 14... then you switch to electric)

Post Likes
    oh isnt that cute? good place to keep the beer cold

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisAMS View Post
    Heat pumps that far north? I'm in Montreal and we use them all the time. Although it can go as low as -30, we get a lot of days where it is warm enough for a heat pump to work fine. (A heat pump is good until about -12 or 14... then you switch to electric)
    I dont get out much i guess!I didnt think if it snowed it would heat well!it freezes at 28 deg,at 20 deg wouldnt it stay in defrost?We have people complian when its 40 deg here!im sure you use dual fuel!which is not that common here.aux heat 10 to 15 kw.

last time it got below 20 and snowed was 1984!1 was 8 yrs old!

Is the average life still 10 to 15 yrs?

Post Likes
    here in the south we have a lot of nat gas so HP are not as common. I could be wrong but -12+ you got to be running off the hest strips not the compresser. it rarely gets below 25 and the heat strips come on all the time. Is there something I am doing wrong??

Post Likes
    I mean -12 to -14 centigrade... I don't know what that is in your system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisAMS View Post
    I mean -12 to -14 centigrade... I don't know what that is in your system.
    ~7-10F... well within where heat pumps are still putting out usable heat. Just depends on how they're sized at that point.

Post Likes
    It is perhaps also worthwhile to point out that the heat pump and electric coils can work simultaneously. The heat pump will cycle on alone within a certain indoor temperature deferential which is determined by the thermostat. Likewise, the electric coils will cycle on alone when the outdoor temperature drops below the minimum cut-off set on the heat pump. If the indoor temperature deferential is more than a few degrees and the outdoor temperature is warm enough, then both systems would work simultaneously. Obviously there is still good savings to be had from having the heat pump going whenever possible even if it can't do it alone.

With regard to the physics of heat, it should be noted that air contains heat even when we might find it really cold. The point at which there is no more molecular activity in air (or anything else) is −273.15°c ... but until that point, heat can be extracted and moved ("pumped") - it is just hard and uneconomical to do so after a certain point.

Post Likes
    Outdoor thermostats are often used to keep part of the aux heat strips off above a certain outdoor temperature. (Often shown in service/installation manuals)

In most colder climates I couldn't imagine a heatpump sized for cooling holding the setpoint alone below 32F/0C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in