Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FROSTY!!!!

I am being told that a heat pump is most eff at 40-45 degree's and your chart seems to suport this with the balance point being at 30. So to me this means that if you live in a climate that has an avg below that during the winter you should not have a HP.
    No, not at all.

Systems can be set up so that the heat strips can work with the pump simultanteously. (Strips cycle on and off to maintain setpoint)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    No, not at all.

Systems can be set up so that the heat strips can work with the pump simultanteously. (Strips cycle on and off to maintain setpoint)
    Keep in mind too that modern digital thermostats will only switch on the auxiliary heat when absolutely necessary. Digital thermostats specifically designed for heat pumps actually analyses system performance by measuring the time it takes to reach the set-point. Using this, it can maximise reliance on the heat pump alone. The same cannot be said for mercury bulb thermostats native to older systems.

Wow, how hard did you laugh when you went to it. I would of been on the floor.. Good job on selling it..
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

My next system is going to be a duel fuel. Here in the KY it can get bitter cold. Electric is (for some reason cheaper) than gas. But I love the heat from my furnace. But the heat from the HP is fine with me considering I don't like a warm house (70* in the summer and 65* in the winter)
    I bought this house and it is the first time with a furnace. (moved from FLA) With the company I work for we set the HP control boards to shut the HP off at 30* for efficiency. I now use a HW TH6220 prog digi thermostat, works like a champ. (never touch the thing, two years running)
    I think I am going with a Amana 90% Gas Furnace with a 13 seer Amana 410a HP with an outdoor sensor. Cnaging the duct work to hug the furnace about two inches from the floor trusses for more basement floor room. Eight' basement, hehe. Need room for parts for the Jeep (Have lockable coal door to the garage for parts storage removal).
    I am done with the strait cool/ furnace thing. Gas is to expensive to run full time. I could use a $$$ break (Need beefier axles for the Wrangler). (3/4 ton)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234