Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deejer28 View Post
    I am a licensed refrig.. and licensed gas fitter in canada... if you have your licenses they cant take them away from you so expanding your knowledge into other areas is only making you a bigger asset... I fixed a rooftop heating unit today ... a deep fryer... installed some stainless in a new kitchen..... blew out condensers on a walk in cooler.... and picked up material for a gas piping job in a kitchen tomorrow... these jobs all feed off eachother and it keeps your job from geting boring..... Ive never had a slow time in 14 years work...the grease can suck .... but fixing stuff in a pressure situation is alot of fun when you are done.... when there are 10 people running around a kitchen and you are in charge of getting the oven going beer fridge ice machine fryer etc etc you get alot of job satisfaction ....kep up the good work its worked well for me cheers
    Well said...I love Canada

Quote Originally Posted by deejer28 View Post
    I am a licensed refrig.. and licensed gas fitter in canada... if you have your licenses they cant take them away from you so expanding your knowledge into other areas is only making you a bigger asset... I fixed a rooftop heating unit today ... a deep fryer... installed some stainless in a new kitchen..... blew out condensers on a walk in cooler.... and picked up material for a gas piping job in a kitchen tomorrow... these jobs all feed off eachother and it keeps your job from geting boring..... Ive never had a slow time in 14 years work...the grease can suck .... but fixing stuff in a pressure situation is alot of fun when you are done.... when there are 10 people running around a kitchen and you are in charge of getting the oven going beer fridge ice machine fryer etc etc you get alot of job satisfaction ....kep up the good work its worked well for me cheers
    I have to agree there is definitely some satisfaction in fixing stuff when you are under the gun....One thing that I find real bad is working on fryers...only because I got to see first hand what grease does after it has hardened and solidified on everything inside a control panel. Makes me think about what it does inside my body, might as well fill our arteries with silicone, its about the same consistency....No wonder fast food is killing us.

I worked for a company that serviced 7-ll machines fcb pop machines and ice machines didn't really like it i hate working alone and it's pretty much the same thing all the time clean it check hoses check electrical move onto the next one gross work especially if the syrup overflows.but other than that it was good some of the 7-ll managers and girls that work there are hot.

I have been doing the hot and cold side for eight years and I enjoy it. Job satisfaction is good. My biggest problem with fryers is not getting greasy but with the cooks not understanding that when they lift a basket out of the grease and swing it over my head it drips 360* grease all over me. OUCH! It is also nice because kitchen equipment breaks down year around. That is why originally started doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrldwlf View Post
    Food service is easy. A furnace is a furnace, whether it is heating your house or baking your bread. There is a knob on most thermostats for calibration. There are many specialty safeties, but if you understand the dangers the safeties are common sense.

it is'nt as easy as it looks....ovens bake unevenly, bakery oven rack lifts fail, fryers leak, dishwashers crash (usually around 7pm saturday night) steamers don't steam and there are a ton of different manufacturers that may or may not share their secrets
    what manufacturers have the best tech support and are willing to give away their secrets

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireye03 View Post
    what manufacturers have the best tech support and are willing to give away their secrets

thanks
    Giles, belshaw and henny penny are pretty good. Hobart sucks. I shouldnt say that... Hobart really sucks A@@. They wont give you anything if you are not a hobart tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Giles, belshaw and henny penny are pretty good. Hobart sucks. I shouldnt say that... Hobart really sucks A@@. They wont give you anything if you are not a hobart tech.
    how is it getting hobart oem parts?

All parts are made of gold and the special property of hobart. Mere mortal techs will have to lay down a premium for even the most minor of parts. This part of course will not be instock and have to be ordered from the magical hobart wharehouse. "Whats the serial number?? we need it so we can go to that customers restaurant and fix it with our truck stock, while you wait for ups."

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Thats what I have used thus far.

Just my general knowledge of how things work, how and why safeties are there, and common sense. I have also used tech support a time or two.

But I would still like to get some good classroom hours in......its always good to add book knowledge to street smarts. Especially when dealing with old run down equipment....makes it a little easier to talk to the owner and maybe get them to upgrade to some newer stuff.....
    There's one in Charlotte, N.C. Two guys from work went there last year. If interested i could get the info tomorrow. It's like a three or four day deal. They cover gas, electric and steam.

Quote Originally Posted by absoair View Post
    There's one in Charlotte, N.C. Two guys from work went there last year. If interested i could get the info tomorrow. It's like a three or four day deal. They cover gas, electric and steam.
    i'd be interested in that info.

thanks

I'd be curious for the info as well. They might offer something a little closer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fireye03 View Post

thanks
    IMO Henny Penny is has some of the best tech support out there!!

I like Hobart Tech support. Those guys are always friendly and helpful to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast