Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I weighed in the normal charge and still am not receiving any suction pressure (0 if not vacuum). Head was 90. Don't think SH and subcool were necessary to diagnose a restriction at this point. Talked with manufacturer and they recommended new Evap with heat exchanger (they call the suction line soldered to the cap tube the heat exchanger) and a new compressor. I went ahead and changed them all but was curious what some of the more experienced refrigeration techs would do in this scenario. I can see the previous owner performed this same repair due to the insulation on the heat exchanger so I'm assuming restriction was a chronic problem. Otherwise, if I were your client and you found this problem would you insist on compressor with evap and cap tube? Or just replace filter and heat exchanger? Just asking for practical knowledge vs manufacturer recommendations

Post Likes
    I don't know why the factory wanted the compressor changed out. From here it appears the compressor was working. A defective compressor won't pull a vacuum. Maybe they were just trying what some call a shotgun approach. Shoot at the whole thing hoping to hit something.
    A restriction should be before the evap so changing that shouldn't solve anything either.
    Really, how many plugged evap's has anyone seen?
    Yes, I would just replace what you mentioned, the heat exchanger and filter.

I'm sort of shotgunning myself as there might be some example of some manufacturer who's equipment doesn't fit what I posted. I'm not referring to obscure units or weird mechanics. In solving problems a tech relies on probability. Shotgunning is a poor and expensive way to address a problem.
    There are times where "Do something even if it's wrong." is surprising how often you'll be right.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I don't know why the factory wanted the compressor changed out. From here it appears the compressor was working. A defective compressor won't pull a vacuum. Maybe they were just trying what some call a shotgun approach. Shoot at the whole thing hoping to hit something.
    A restriction should be before the evap so changing that shouldn't solve anything either.
    Really, how many plugged evap's has anyone seen?
    Yes, I would just replace what you mentioned, the heat exchanger and filter.

I'm sort of shotgunning myself as there might be some example of some manufacturer who's equipment doesn't fit what I posted. I'm not referring to obscure units or weird mechanics. In solving problems a tech relies on probability. Shotgunning is a poor and expensive way to address a problem.
    There are times where "Do something even if it's wrong." is surprising how often you'll be right.
    Changing everything is a reasonable approach because in the event the cap tube is clogged; the oil is contaminated with acid. In the event the evaporator coil was leaking and the compressor pulled into a vacuum, you just pulled moisture into the system and the oil is now contaminated, which will lead to a clogged capillary tube down the road if just the cap tube was replaced.

Though if it were me, and I found the cap tube clogged and the evap coil not leaking, then I'd probably just change the compressor and cap tube. I've had a few instances of replaced cap tubes clogging within a month of replacement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shellkamp; 03-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Post Likes
    You have a plugged cap tube

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk
    What do you mean you can't compress liquid!

Post Likes
    Not a plugged drier?

Quote Originally Posted by flangehead View Post
    You have a plugged cap tube

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Not a plugged drier?
    It's possible, you are right, check the dryer

What do you mean you can't compress liquid!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12