Post Likes

1 year old heat n glo supreme i 30 problem with recurrent blower fan issues

My apologies for mis-posting this as a follow on to an old thread. I'm relatively new here and thought I didn't have posting permissions. I just discovered a way to navigate to the fireplace forum and that posting is possible so am re-posting this in case that helps.
    We have a direct vented supreme i 30 gas insert that was installed in Maryland just over a year ago in Jan 2016. It got some slight use in the 2016 Jan- March season, and in November 2016 when it was fireplace time again the fan started making a noise at its lowest of 3 speeds. Control of the unit is via a remote. Initially the noise was intermittent and the first repair visit seemed to yield no answers besides the tech stating that the aperture under the firebox was so cramped the components there had moved around due to the heat. A few days later the noise recurred.
    On their second trip out they discovered what they said was a loose nut in the fan and replaced the fan in about December 2016. When they replaced the fan it held up for a bit but now 3 months later there is a groaning noise at the medium(of three possible) fan speed . It is still under warranty but owing to multiple glitches in the install/maintain process including the ones above (they did not think they had to get the insert inspected but had to take care of it in December 2016 because the county area inspector who handles this zone asked me why he hadn't been brought in having stopped by for something unrelated and then required an inspection), I'm reluctant to call this in without a better idea of what to tell them. I have a few questions:
    1) Do Supreme I 30 units frequently have fan failures of this type?
    2)Is this an unusually old and unreliable model?
    3) If the sales engineer mis-sized the unit for the fireplace (as the repair techs said the space under the firebox where several parts appear to be located, was cramped) are fan problems common?
    We do not handle the insert or rearrange the components in any way ourselves. As mentioned the remote has been how we attempt to control it. any advice much appreciated. Thanks, Nalin

Post Likes
    1) Nope
    2) No and not in my experience
    3) All inserts are cramped.

Fans don't break all the often most noises are caused by an obstruction or metal vibration with the unit itself or something caught in the blades. If the unit is under warranty have them out until it is fixed. If they can't solve it they can call out a factory tech to figure it out or replace the unit. We've had a few fireplaces that for whatever reason were cursed/haunted and Heat and Glo replaced them for us but usually the factory guys find some obscure issue we missed like a particular vent termination that was compatible with the last fireplace model but based on some production update no longer works.

Post Likes
    thanks so much! will do-N.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    1) Nope
    2) No and not in my experience
    3) All inserts are cramped.

Fans don't break all the often most noises are caused by an obstruction or metal vibration with the unit itself or something caught in the blades. If the unit is under warranty have them out until it is fixed. If they can't solve it they can call out a factory tech to figure it out or replace the unit. We've had a few fireplaces that for whatever reason were cursed/haunted and Heat and Glo replaced them for us but usually the factory guys find some obscure issue we missed like a particular vent termination that was compatible with the last fireplace model but based on some production update no longer works.
    Is there any rule of thumb for how long a newly installed gas insert can be reasonably expected to work without having problems of this sort? THis is the first time we;ve paid so much to get something done- in the order of a new hvac system- and this just keeps developing problems. Is there such a thing as Mean Time Between Failures for a gas insert (if installed right and not otherwise interfered with?)
    thank you,
    Nalini

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nalini View Post
    Is there any rule of thumb for how long a newly installed gas insert can be reasonably expected to work without having problems of this sort? THis is the first time we;ve paid so much to get something done- in the order of a new hvac system- and this just keeps developing problems. Is there such a thing as Mean Time Between Failures for a gas insert (if installed right and not otherwise interfered with?)
    thank you,
    Nalini
    Not really but fireplaces are simple pieces of equipment and you should go years without so much as a minor issue.

Post Likes
    The manufacturers of gas fireplaces recommend that they are serviced at least once per year.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Post Likes
    If you find a competent, qualified service person and follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule most fireplaces will give you many years of use with minimal issues. The "I" in your unit means, I believe, that it is an electronic ignition unit which tend to be a more more complicated than the other common option. The sensors, controls, and remotes on these units tend to be a bit more expensive, and a bit more finicky so it is a good idea to try to find a competent service person who is familiar with your specific fireplace, as the control and ignition systems from manufacturer to manufacturer can vary quite drastically. Also, most issues I see are installation related. Seemingly unimportant factors such as log placement can actually play a huge factor is the performance of your fireplace, as well as how often it needs to be serviced.

With regards to your fan issue, Sooty mostly covered the likely causes of fan issues on any new-ish unit. Fans do tend to have an "expected life" due to all the dust and soot and garbage that they get exposed to, but they usually last at least a few years, and then usually tend to get louder and louder over time.

Some fans are simply noisier than others also (many have a "hum"), but fans from twenty years ago compared to fans now, fans in very expensive unit vs fans in budget units - generally there really isn't much difference in performance, longevity, or reliability.