Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dangerous Technician

I got a call about year ago from a lady complaining that the pilot won’t stay on. A service tech from another company had been out three times. The tech had changed gas valve and thermocouple, but the pilot still keeps going out.
    When I got there, I found a 10 year old Ruud furnace with the vent pipe not fully on the inducer draft housing and pilot vent tube sitting on top the furnace. I asked the customer what going on??? She said, the other service tech told her that the vent was clogged up with a bird nest. To keep the pilot on he had to leave the vent pipe that way.
    I didn’t find any bird nest in the vent pipe, but did find wires jumped that went to flame roll out switch, pilot vent tube broken off from inducer draft blower housing and cracks in the heat exchanger.
    I told the customer that the heat exchanger is still in warranty, but she wanted us to install a new furnace and do a much needed coil cleaning.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We've sold 100s of that furnace since 1992, never found a bad HX. Never saw one in that condition either

Looks like what the home warranty company contractors do around here on a regular basis
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've sold 100s of that furnace since 1992, never found a bad HX. Never saw one in that condition either
    I have seen those furnaces heat exchanger rusted out still in warranty before. Here pic of a Rheem heat exchanger from about 2 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whats with the standing pilot system?
    Someone downgrade it from HSI?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

nope, that was rheems standing pilot induced draft furnaces. i don't know if anyone else ever made one. that little funnel thing on top of the furnace is actually a hood thats supposed to go over the pilot and direct its exhaust up into the inducer housing when the furnace is off.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Whats with the standing pilot system?
    Someone downgrade it from HSI?
    I don't know... why someone wouldn't pay a few dollars more and get a auto ignition furnace. I'm glad to see pilot go away.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    nope, that was rheems standing pilot induced draft furnaces. i don't know if anyone else ever made one. that little funnel thing on top of the furnace is actually a hood thats supposed to go over the pilot and direct its exhaust up into the inducer housing when the furnace is off.
    Your right! I haven't seen any other furnaces that have that pilot hood other than Rheem.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Weird, didn't know they made one, every Rheem/Ruud I have seen, that looks like that, was HSI.
    Thanks for posting the pics sammyray.

Guess I'm not dead yet.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 12-15-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

That other tec. needed to red tag. but for some reason he rather endanger the homeowners!! not cool !
    Want the whole truth WWW.infowars.com

I don't think he was a tech at all, more like a dangerous... well I really don't know what to call him/her, scary stuff man.
    Glad you are keeping your eyes open checking everything.

iso
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

What you have gone behind is not an uncommon thing around here,you came behind a parts changer

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Weird, didn't know they made one, every Rheem/Ruud I have seen, that looks like that, was HSI.
    Thanks for posting the pics sammyray.

Guess I'm not dead yet.
    I think that was the first version of the silhouette.
    You can't fix stupid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast