Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Antique Monster Gravity

Completely redesigned system adding returns to balance airflow. Was a lot of fun!!:
    Last edited by jwiehagen76; 07-06-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Looks great from a non-professional point of view.

What A/C was installed outside? What thermostat controls the system?

A.S 410a 14 seer a/c tstat was A.S 800 touchscreen with outdoor sensor

Lot of these around Baltimore City. Mostly conversion burners with rigged up blowers and plenty of asbestos to go around! Usually we open the window, break up the furnace and call my local scrap guy!
    Growing old is inevitable ... growing UP is
    optional.

You are conditioning the room that has a water heater that needs fresh air for combustion?
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    You are conditioning the room that has a water heater that needs fresh air for combustion?
    Huh? Not sure what you mean by this?

There is a supply vent off the supply trunk pushing conditioned air into the same room as the equipment, the furnace has fresh air combustion piped straight to it the 2 pvc pipes coming off it, so the furnace could be located in a conditioned space since it wouldn't use oxygen from the home. But there is a water heater next to it that needs fresh air combustion so there must be some vents the outside to provide it. It is like heating a room that you always keep the window open, not very efficient.

Or there is no combustion air vents in that room anymore and the water heater uses oxygen from the house which is bad for iaq.

so i should have provided no heat in basement area where there is a make shift office? We never use inside air for combustion on 90% furnaces. As for the water tank it is tied to a 3" z liner. Put a register in at owners request. Am i wrong?

No i'm just saying its inefficient, as long as there is fresh air coming into the basement, if there is no fresh air for combustion then yes its wrong (at least out here in California) as its depleting oxygen from inside the house to burn.

Probably more than enough fresh air for combustion through infiltration.

If the ambient air was enough to support combustion with the old gravity monster as well as the water heater it should be plenty sufficient for the water heater alone.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

I'm not saying he's going to have issues, I'm just saying its not proper. I wonder if I can say that to an city inspector you do not need proper fresh air combustion because well this building isnt very tight it'll get its air somehow.

I also dont nee any sealing done on the return, but with the supply there I wonder what kind of preasure that room is in and if allows for a proper draft on the wh.

I will say thats the prettiest pvc job I've seen in awhile, I cant even see the glue and primer connections on it. I'm sloppy with the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    I also dont nee any sealing done on the return, but with the supply there I wonder what kind of preasure that room is in and if allows for a proper draft on the wh.
    The duct sealing in a home with basements are almost unheard of.. The only time the ducts are sealed if it's going into a crawl space, or area that is not heated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast