GTI model 5000 GDV and cold air

I have inherited a GTI model 5000 GDV-HIS gas fireplace. The previous owner of the house says “it never worked right”. The problem, then and now, is outside air gushing into the room from the fireplace. I have removed the decretive cover and I think I see the source of the problem. There is a 4 inch opening in the lower right back corner of the fireplace that the outside air spills through. I’ve not removed the outside vent cover to confirm the vent type but I believe it is a double or triple wall horizontally vented pipe. Does it sound like this fireplace was plumbed correctly? I thought that cold air was suppose to be delivered directly to the combustion box.

Can anyone direct me a manual for this fireplace? I’d like to see the installation diagrams before I call in a tech. I can not find a website for GTI.

A "GDV" model is typcially a direct vent. The fireplace glass should be sealed and the outer wall of the vent should deliver fresh air to the combustion chamber only (not into the house). Is the fireplace on an outside wall of the house? You are probably suffering from poor house contruction and not anything wrong with the fireplace. If there is cold air behind the fireplace either the vent is disconnected someplace or the walls or draft stop of the house are leaking behind the fireplace.

Cool GTI

GTI is essentially Heat&Glo. As JTP said, fix the house and the cold air problem will go away. You do need to check the glass on this unit. If it has the old red silicone rubber gasket, it needs to be replaced ASAP. The new glass will have a rope gasket. Remove the rubber pads on the glass clips and it should fit fine. You really need to get a pro out there to inspect the entire unit, clean and service it and make recommendations on that cold air situation. With a 4" hole, it should be easy to inspect the chase cavity for proper weatherization. You may want to open the wall and have it properly caulked, sealed, insulated and sheathed. If it isn't working properly, the tech should be able to repair it. BTW, that should read HSI for Hot Surface Igniter, which is an electronic ignition versus a standing pilot. Take care of that vent pipe. If it gets damaged, you will have to replace the entire fireplace since that pipe is no longer made.

Contact HG Tech with the serial number so they can get you the correct part number and nearest dealer.
    HTH,
    Hearthman

Hijacked ? for hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    You do need to check the glass on this unit. If it has the old red silicone rubber gasket, it needs to be replaced ASAP. The new glass will have a rope gasket. Remove the rubber pads on the glass clips and it should fit fine.

kind of hijacking.

Hearthman, you have given me some direct info before, but I was curious with this statement, is there a tech bulletin or mfr statement on replacing these glass seal combos?

if so, where can I get a copy so that I can show rather than suggest/tell a customer that replacement is needed.

thanks

Can you place unfaced fiberglass insulation in the upper front of a gas fireplace between the stone and the glass of the fireplace?
    Mine is also leaking cold air into the room. This is okay as long as the fireplace is running but my furnace pull cold air from the unsealed area . I heard as long as you use unfaced inuslation it was okay.

Exclamation

pacnw, there is a tech bulletin from HG on this but they aren't exactly publishing it on CNN if you catch my drift. They stop just shy of calling it a 'recall' but that's what it amounts to:
    [CENTER]Warning
    Product Safety Notification
    Silicone Gaskets on Glass Fronts
    April 2001
    Prior to 1996, many fireplaces built by many manufacturers, including Heat&Glo were constructed using silicone rubber "bullet-stle" gaskets to seal the fireplace glass. Tese gaskets are approaching the end of their useful lives. With age, and heavy use, these gaskets deteriorate, resulting in a soot and carbon monoxide hazard.
    FAILURE TO REPLACE THESE SILICONE RUBBER GASKETS COULD POSE A SUBSTANTIAL RISK OF HARM TO USERS.
    What does this mean for your maintenace operation?
    • Review your files to make sure you have ongoing service contracts with your past customers
      Contact your customers if they do not have a service contract to recommend inspection and cleaning
      If your customer has moved, you should contact the new homeowner to offer your services
      If you get a call from a customer about glass that is "turning white" and "difficult to clean", you need to make a house call to inspect the fireplace and replace any aging components

What to look for when inspecting silicone gasket fronts:
    • Evidence of heavy, white film or soot on the glass that is difficult to remove.
      Check the pliability of the gasket, especially across the top. Hard or brittle gaskets should be replaced with a new glass assembly
      Is there cracking or crazing? If so, the entire glass assembly should be replaced.
      Is the gasket fully adhered all the way around? If not, the entire glass assembly should be replaced.

If there is any indication that the gasket is showing signs of failure or aging, the entire glass assembly should be replaced with a new long-life fiberglass gasket glass assembly before the unit is returned to service. Replacement parts are available. Contact your Heat-H_Glo tech service rep. today."

The underlining is theirs. Note, this does apply across all brands. Still, it is pretty hard to justify leaving such glass/ gasket assys. in service knowing this. I know Flame Tech in Wilmington, De. carries these replacement glass assys. on their trucks and refuse to touch these old fireplaces unless the glass is replaced. I concur with that policy and follow it myself.

Note, there is no mention about the red rubber bumper pads in this notification. It is just one of those things that slipped through they're hoping the jungle drums spread the word on. If you want a clean copy for photocopies to leave with customers, contact HG.

wscsteve, No! You cannot pack any kind of insulation into the heat exchanger or any other compartments or openings in the fireplace! This is an extreme fire hazard! You would be defeating the primary cooling mechanism of the fireplace. All your clearances to combustibles, function, durability of components go right out the window. Fix the house and you won't get cold air infiltration at the Fp. Seal the upper envelope of the house, seal ducts and provide makeup air down low in the home. Have your ducts balanced. That should help.

HTH,
    Hearthman