Commercial Refrigeration Technician-NY

I am starting to think it would be easier to spot the Loch Ness Monster than to find a commercial refrigeration tech. Air Conditioning experience is a plus however we are 95% refrigeration.

Looking for a technician competent in repairing;

Reach-ins
    Walk-ins
    Prep tables
    Ice Machines

Clean drivers license required.

Send an email (in profile)

Why not advertise in the local paper and supply houses?

I have recently finished a two week run in Newsday (local paper $1500.00) and one month with MEP Jobs($800.00). The supply house is touchy. On occasion owners of competing companies will rip the ad down as they don't want their guys seeing it.

I have gotten plenty of resumes from air conditioning techs, just not refrigeration techs. Most resumes I do receive are "from the can" as refrigeration is something they all put down, however they honestly have never really worked on an ice machine or reach-in, but they swear there is "nothing to it".

It is beyond frustrating at this point.

I am hoping a technician from NY might see this and give us a chance to provide a great place to work.

If you were to move this thread to the "refrigeration" section, you might find someone there..

Good Luck!

Too bad you're not in SW Ohio. I really miss the commercial refrigeration work. Started out in commercial refrigeration- walk-ins, reach-ins, ice machines, even some supermarket. Over the years, I progressed into industrial refrigeration before I got back into regular HVACR work (the ammonia was starting to make my skin develop a rash). Unfortunately, I went to work for a "refrigeration team" for a large company. I am lucky if I do three or four refrigeration calls a year. It's mostly Rtu's, MAU's, boilers, Trane Intellipaks and the like. Unfortunately, the work load is no where near as steady as in refrigeration. Very cyclical (even before the economic downturn). Not much fun. Maybe one day I'll be able to get back into commercial refrigeration and finish my career out as I started it so many years ago.

Good luck in your search. There' s got to be some qualified techs out there, especially given the economy. People are looking for steady work and good opportunities.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Where in NY?
    Not what it use to be

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by coldcube View Post
    I have recently finished a two week run in Newsday (local paper $1500.00) and one month with MEP Jobs($800.00). The supply house is touchy. On occasion owners of competing companies will rip the ad down as they don't want their guys seeing it.

I have gotten plenty of resumes from air conditioning techs, just not refrigeration techs. Most resumes I do receive are "from the can" as refrigeration is something they all put down, however they honestly have never really worked on an ice machine or reach-in, but they swear there is "nothing to it".

It is beyond frustrating at this point.

I am hoping a technician from NY might see this and give us a chance to provide a great place to work.
    I would also suggest sending this post to the Refrigeration/Ice Making area.

You make some really great points. I work for a 100% commercial refrigeration service company and we service primarily ice machines, reach-ins, walk-ins, and prep tables. We often have to correct mistakes HVAC guys make while trying to fix a refrigeration problem......commercial refrigeration truly is a speciality, provides steady work, and will always be a demanding field especially for the guys that do supermarket work.
    Last edited by intellitech; 01-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.

hoshizaki dan

holla at your boy

i got the hookup for you

might drop the word to the counter guys at Abco/Hicksville,and the ones out at BF Johnstone Supply in Farmingdale
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    might drop the word to the counter guys at Abco/Hicksville,and the ones out at BF Johnstone Supply in Farmingdale
    Tell Frank or Tom at ABCO that Dan from Sheridan Refrigeration is dying out there and his brother is too comfortable in the 638 to come back to "combat refrigeration". Or if you go to Farmingdale tell Victor, Chopper, or Keith, I have been crying to these guys for awhile.

AMMONIANITE; I have worked on everything from oil burners, RTU's, environmental chambers, filtrine chillers and so forth. I stuck with the commercial refrigeration because it seems there just aren't any professional companies that handle light refrigeration (everything other than supermarket). I figured it would be a great niche and customers were longing for a refrigeration company who knew what they are doing. Now that I am neck deep I can see why, there are NO qualified technicians. I have been flying through techs lately. Most never make it to an interview after I ask around about them.

INTELLITECH; It is difficult. I do a fair amount of RTU work. Most times I can walk a refrigeration tech through units up to 25 tons. Trane gets tricky for them on occasion. Now trying to explain the sequence of operation on an ice machine to an HVAC guy has proven impossible. Even explaining a fire eye control and interlocks on a captive air make up air unit has been interesting.

ITSAMINE; Long Island-we service Manhattan to Bridgehampton. I do a tremendous amount of manufacture, food service dealer, and facility management company work. The hours are 9-5:30. There is oncall for the guys who want it, but not much comes in at night (I know unheard of in our indusrty). If things are good I find overtime (for the guys who want it) otherwise I seem to come up with 40 hrs whether there is work or straightening up the trucks. I pay up to $30 however caution guys that want to start at that pay level as at $30 and above I expect a decent production level and low call back ratio. If you’re from LI you can ask guys at most of the supply houses who I am.

HOSHI DAN; Give me a call on my cell.

Thanks for responding guys; I’d pull my hair out if I had any left.

To bad I am in NC. I havent touched much refrigeration in a while (not that I ever touched it much anyways) but ice machines were always cool (no pun intended! LOL).
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

my cell phone got jacked and I dont have your # anymore . ill call knauer tomorrow and see if he still got your # if not call him and get mine