Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Infinity vs Jackson Dampers

Is ther a major difference between the two?

I just had installed a new Carrier Infinity system and have been a bit dissapointed that the actual dampers are the Jackson ones rather than a Carrier branded version.

Should I be concerned, I haven't paid yet.

I am not familiar with the Jackson damper, but i can tell you if Carrier dampers are not used, the system probably will not operate correctly. The dampers are a vital part of the system. Usually over-cooling and heating will result.
    I can tell you, you will not be eligable to purchase a Carrier ten-year warranty on the dampers, and in fact, Carrier will not warranty the dampers at all.

I don't have intimate knowledge of either damper. How's that for two useful replies in a row?

However, I've heard enough about Infinity to know that it's pretty finicky... err... advanced. If the dampers weren't truly compatible then it's highly likely that the controller would have given you an error code. Plus, Jackson advertises that they're compatible. That doesn't prove anything. I'm just pointing out a strong likelihood.

As for the contractor, don't be too disappointed. Contractual issues aside (which is not to say you should put them aside - If the contract is fairly clear or even implies that it should all be Infinity, then you may have a legit gripe.), there's nothing wrong with going with a more cost efficient vendor. Carrier is very inefficient on certain products, especially if they think they have a monopoly. Most OEMs are that way. To wit:

My local Carrier wholesaler, which is owned by Carrier, stocks circuit boards made by ICM for Carrier products rather than just stocking the Carrier OEM circuit boards. The cost savings is substantial and they naturally sell way more ICM boards than Carrier boards.

The point of that anecdote being, non-OEM is not the bad thing that some may imply it is. Given one particular Carrier screw-up I’m thinking of (poorly designed circuit boards which make for a very nice revenue stream for me), non-OEM is sometimes superior. That’s not to bash Carrier. That is to bash all OEMs equally.

My knowlege they are not the same. The Jacksons are a retro fit to the carrier/bryant zone damper and cost a bit less. They can be used with Carrier/Bryant zoning so they will work.

Is your damper round or square?
    If round
    The Carrier/Bryant version has an oval shaped damper and locks at a 45 degree angle while the Jackson has a round damper and closes at 90.

I prefer the Carrier/Bryant oval damper because it seems to have less leakage.

Did you get the infinity zone system? or a perfect plus ll zone system?

If it's the infinity zone, I ask for the carrier dampers because you probably paid a hefty price.

The Jackson Dampers worl the same, if you are not happy with the system performance convey this to the contractor.

Are you having performance issues?
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Comes down to what was stated in the contract. If you were quoted and expected to pay for a Carrier Infinity zoning system then (in my opinion) if they substituted another brand of dampers you didn't get what you signed up for. The issue of future warranty claims are probably in question here also.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicDave View Post
    My knowlege they are not the same. The Jacksons are a retro fit to the carrier/bryant zone damper and cost a bit less. They can be used with Carrier/Bryant zoning so they will work.

Is your damper round or square?
    If round
    The Carrier/Bryant version has an oval shaped damper and locks at a 45 degree angle while the Jackson has a round damper and closes at 90.

I prefer the Carrier/Bryant oval damper because it seems to have less leakage.

Did you get the infinity zone system? or a perfect plus ll zone system?

If it's the infinity zone, I ask for the carrier dampers because you probably paid a hefty price.
    Are there any other powered dampers that use an oval damper rather than a round one? Fantech has a manual iris damper.

Jackson says the Carrier Infinity damper compatibility is a timing spec: 15 seconds vs a more common 90 seconds.

What about the Zonefirst Modulating damper which has the 15 second timing and a round blade that seals against a neoprene gasket.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Infinty zoning has no bypass damper, and their damper do not seal tightly,the controller takes the damper leakage in to account as it manages air flow. I think it would be best not to change to a sealed damper.

Jackson claims to be an equal, never tried them,but they have a great reputation,so other then extended warranty,they are very likely fine.

Have installed hundreds of the Carrier Infinity Zone systems and sometimes we have custom sized dampers made and Jackson has been a great supplier of these custom dampers. Have seen zero issues with the Jacskon dampers and they are quality constructed in my opinion and not really any cheaper than the Carrier. There is no such thing as an "Infinity" damper or actuator even from Carrier. All Carrier residential zoning systems logic need an actuator that has a 15 second open & close power stroke.

ghunsicker
    Have installed hundreds of the Carrier Infinity Zone systems and sometimes we have custom sized dampers made and Jackson has been a great supplier of these custom dampers. Have seen zero issues with the Jacskon dampers and they are quality constructed in my opinion and not really any cheaper than the Carrier. There is no such thing as an "Infinity" damper or actuator even from Carrier. All Carrier residential zoning systems logic need an actuator that has a 15 second open & close power stroke.

ghunsicker, so can an EWC work with a Carrier Infinity Zone system?

EWC?

Looks to me like the MA-15S actuator would work with Carrier residential zone systems but might be best to refer to EWC tech support in case I am missing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast