View Poll Results: What kind of Fin Comb straightener do you use?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metal "one size fits all" adjustable

3 6.67%
  • Mushroom style handle with 6 sizes

5 11.11%
  • Multi colored plastic with one size on each end

20 44.44%
  • "Razor" style with replacable colored plastic ends

7 15.56%
  • Thermostat screwdriver or knife

6 13.33%
  • Whatever's available in the tool bag.

4 8.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fin Comb - What kind do you use?

What type of fin comb to you prefer to use? We do a lot. 587 condensers this next week with bent fins on at least half of them. We use the plastic colored ones with one size on each end. I've tried everything else and for us these seem to be the fastest, but we go through one for every 3-6 units.

Thats what I use Had mine of over a year and use alot. Still works fine

Are you useing the YJ ones?
    If you help others then you are a Success

Have not used them in a while. I have several different types but the plastic one with sizes at each end seem to work the best. Try using a little wd40 on the coil and they work a little better. I have had to spend hours straightening coils back in the day. Of course after you use the wd be sure to use coil cleaner and clean the coil after or it will collect dirt fast and plug up pretty bad.
    "It's always controls"

Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    What type of fin comb to you prefer to use? We do a lot. 587 condensers this next week with bent fins on at least half of them. We use the plastic colored ones with one size on each end. I've tried everything else and for us these seem to be the fastest, but we go through one for every 3-6 units.
    Use wd40 and a little rocking side to side motion. Dont force it through, side to side Danielson. They will last longer and the coil will look and work a lot better.
    "It's always controls"

Only luck I have dad is a pocket knife blade when I tried to use finn comb it seem to make it worse bought a whole set of the plastic ones could not find the right one to fit the fins.

Every time I have tried to use a fin tool it ends up looking worse. When I use a pocket screwdriver it tends to be more precise and look more professional. Now the question is what do you use to fix spine fin coils?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

pocket screwdriver , I have had little or no luck with fin combs

I usually have decent luck with the double-ended combs, but if I have one that is really smashed up I usually have to use a screwdriver or utility knife.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    Thats what I use Had mine of over a year and use alot. Still works fine

Are you useing the YJ ones?
    I'm using the "supercomb" brand ones. I've never been able to do well with the adjustable ones.

I use a leatherman skinny screwdriver for the completely mashed down fins then the comb afterwards. The combs just tear up fast.

Seems like I use the red, green and yellow the most.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    Every time I have tried to use a fin tool it ends up looking worse. When I use a pocket screwdriver it tends to be more precise and look more professional. Now the question is what do you use to fix spine fin coils?
    I've used a skinny wire brush with only two rows of wire bristles on it to pull them out. Not fun.

extremely time consuming and frustrating!

but the best thing that i have found that works for me is the simple ole t-stat screwdriver
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    I'm using the "supercomb" brand ones. I've never been able to do well with the adjustable ones.

I use a leatherman skinny screwdriver for the completely mashed down fins then the comb afterwards. The combs just tear up fast.

Seems like I use the red, green and yellow the most.
    Never used them only the YJ
    the YJ is about $ 12 and they last
    If you help others then you are a Success

Best fin comb I ever used was "little Jeff." Drop him by a job with rooftops all smashed, from hail, some fin combs, pump up bottle with dish soap in it. Pick him up later. I'd buy him a cold drink and a snack. Bad thing is he shot himself one weekend, it was no accident. Always made me leary of fin combing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast