Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I don't recommend a heat pump here, stick with a 2 stage 90 and go with a DC drive for better air quality and more even temperatures in the home.

You can PM me if you like....I grew up in Birmingham.
    Thanks for your opinion, Coolwhip. May I ask why you don't recommend a heat pump as opposed to a conventional A/C? I'm really concerned about rising utility costs and want to be environmentally responsible. OTOH, I don't want to buy in to a mess of problems, such as the heat pump not really being able do the job, not saving enough on utilities, or being mechanically unreliable because of its 3-season duty cycle.

Regarding the furnace, the Infinity ICS with its multistage burner and variable fan speed seems to offer the best air handling capability (very important to me) of the Carrier offerings, and with its 95 AFUE rating I can hopefully get that $1500 tax credit that Obama is pushing through Congress. The only ~90 AFUE Carrier units offered by my salesman have single-stage heat and a standard fan, and I'm pretty sure I want something better than that.

If you have any specific equipment recommendations I'd be glad to hear them. Maybe Carrier isn't the best fit for my needs. I'm not looking for the cheapest HVAC solution but I don't want to pay a lot more than I really need to...

Regards, Jim

best way to save money is to reduce your heat loss/gain ;reduce the amount of BTU's required; reduces your energy cost; good windows and insulation along with properly installed high efficiency comfort system
    NO Brains NO Headaches

Twilli used to live in Birmingham
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I don't recommend a heat pump here, stick with a 2 stage 90 and go with a DC drive for better air quality and more even temperatures in the home.

You can PM me if you like....I grew up in Birmingham.
    Coolwhip, I tried to send you a PM but the site won't allow me to, so I posted my reply to you here. I'd like a chance to discuss specifics with you, so if you could email me at <no email addresses allowed in post>, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 05:50 PM.

I'd still price a HP and the A/C with the 90% furnace. Then figure it will run about 30% of the time and give you a 3rd low stage of heat on moderate days. So figure around an 8-10% reduction in your seasonal gas bill. If that has a 10 year return, I'd go that route and get the heat pump. If gas price increases outpace electric in the future, you may be glad you did. If not, you have a 3rd stage of heat with a higher fan speed that circulates the air on moderate heating days.

Definitely get the VS fan if you have air flow issues. The continuous fan will help circulate air to even out imbalance issues and you can partiallly close some dampers with too much air to get more air to the far end of the house. The static pressure will go up, but the VS fan will still provide the same CFM. You'll probably find the VS fan much quieter as well.

For what it matters... I grew up in Novi/Northville. While MI is further north than Iowa, because of more cloud cover, snow, and urban heating from all the pavement, its actually warmer in SE MI in Jan than in SE Iowa. So I don't see any reason a HP wouldn't be economical in a dual fuel set-up there. But you're house is large enough to justify a condensing 90% furnace either way. Mine is not.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'd still price a HP and the A/C with the 90% furnace. Then figure it will run about 30% of the time and give you a 3rd low stage of heat on moderate days. So figure around an 8-10% reduction in your seasonal gas bill. If that has a 10 year return, I'd go that route and get the heat pump. If gas price increases outpace electric in the future, you may be glad you did. If not, you have a 3rd stage of heat with a higher fan speed that circulates the air on moderate heating days.

Definitely get the VS fan if you have air flow issues. The continuous fan will help circulate air to even out imbalance issues and you can partiallly close some dampers with too much air to get more air to the far end of the house. The static pressure will go up, but the VS fan will still provide the same CFM. You'll probably find the VS fan much quieter as well.

For what it matters... I grew up in Novi/Northville. While MI is further north than Iowa, because of more cloud cover, snow, and urban heating from all the pavement, its actually warmer in SE MI in Jan than in SE Iowa. So I don't see any reason a HP wouldn't be economical in a dual fuel set-up there. But you're house is large enough to justify a condensing 90% furnace either way. Mine is not.
    Thanks, Motoguy! Advice from someone who knows this area is what I'm looking for. I'll have another discussion with my preferred contractor's sales guy about what I've learned here, and I'll also get at least one additional contractor to bid on the job as well.

Regards, Jim

Check and see if the contractors have done any dual fuel set-ups and how many and get a price for a straight furnace or a dual fuel.

One other thought. Have them evaluate the supply and return main trunks. I found out in my home at least that it was a little undersized and I benefited from replacing about 12' of each and rerouting 1 main branch to some bedrooms. It might help improve your balance issues. Overall, the level of noise reducion before and after partly form the VS fan is night and day. Think of it like I-696 @ 5PM vs. 2AM.

I too am looking into getting a Carrier 58MVC. Can you tell me if you've made a decision and how things are working out for you? Did the variable speed blower make a difference in heating your distant rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by LesterPaul View Post
    I too am looking into getting a Carrier 58MVC. Can you tell me if you've made a decision and how things are working out for you? Did the variable speed blower make a difference in heating your distant rooms?
    Hi Lester. I haven't made my decision yet. I was waiting for definitive news about the Carrier rebates and stimulus bill tax rebates; now that I have this info in hand I need to pick my contractor. I'm not in any hurry, as I don't plan to have the work done until April or May.

I'll probably go with the 58MVC furnace and the 17 SEER A/C with Infinity control, or the Bryant equivalent. I have to do some negotiating with the contractor I prefer; he's $x higher than two other bids I have for essentially the same setup...
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 05:51 PM.

I am looking at the exact same combo. I believe that there is a $1,000 rebate in March, and a $1,500 tax credit.

Have you been able to find any info on the reliability of the three stage VS 2 stage 58MVB? Three stage is pretty new, and I'm not sure if it's proven itself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterPaul View Post
    I am looking at the exact same combo. I believe that there is a $1,000 rebate in March, and a $1,500 tax credit.

Have you been able to find any info on the reliability of the three stage VS 2 stage 58MVB? Three stage is pretty new, and I'm not sure if it's proven itself yet.
    Yes, I was told that the furnace and A/C combo carries a $1000 rebate from March through June. I am also getting the Infinity air cleaner and humidifier, and I believe that I will get an additional $250 rebate on them.

I have no direct experience with the reliability of the 58MVB (or MVC in my case) but all of the contractors I talked to with seemed quite confident about it being durable. Perhaps some other forum participants could comment...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12