Post Likes

Gas fireplace or Wood fireplace?

Gas fireplace or Wood fireplace? Which one is better?

Post Likes
    It's all preference. I personally like wood better. Puts out a hotter heat but can get messy with all the ashes. I have a wood one now and use it more than I ever did with a gas one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Two different things and two different applications. Gas fireplaces are more for supplemental heat and ambience and while wood fireplaces are often used for those things as well they are also used as primary heat sources and especially so in rural areas while most gas fireplaces aren't listed or certified as primary heat sources. There are lots of other considerations as well the cost of a new wood system can be double the cost of a gas fireplace and if a new chimney or venting system is required that can triple or quadruple depending on what is needed. Your insurance company might not be too keen on a wood system and raise your premiums and the local code powers that be might not even allow a wood system in town either. Then there is the maintenance and work required with wood which is much greater than a gas system.

Bottom line is that if you live somewhere with lots of readily available wood and you want a source of heat go with wood. If you want a fireplace for the look or to take the chill off now and then a gas fireplace is the way to go.

Post Likes
    What I generally tell my customers is, from a usage perspective it's really about the fuel supply and how important convenience is.

Wood is a tricky fuel to cost as it can be the least expensive or the most expensive depending on where you get it. If you live on a large property or can somehow supply your own wood then the cost is going to be your time (which is a big consideration), as well as vehicle and tool fuel (chainsaw), maintenance, and storage space. There is also a lag of two seasons before newly cut wood is "seasoned" and reaches the ideal moisture content for burning. This is an important consideration when comparing performance, and likely varies depending on your climate.

There is also the consideration of mess inconvenience of starting the fire, and insurance companies aren't huge fans of solid fuel appliances, so that can be a bit tricky. Out here they straight up won't insure you if you say you are using a wood fireplace as a primary heat source, and certain things such as too much wood on hand can void your insurance as it is taken to mean it's a primary heat source or you wouldn't need that much wood.

For advantages, wood heat is a drier hotter heat which many find especially comfortable. As has been mentioned wood can put out more heat, but these are space heaters. If you get a quality, efficient gas fireplace properly sized for the job you want it to do you will not find the volume of heat lacking. Gas got a bad name with some as there have historically been so many low quality builders boxes and decorative gas fireplaces installed which give little to no heat. Compare that to something in the 70%-80% (FE efficiency) range and it's night and day. Propane and natural gas fireplaces are also quite different beasts, so what is said of NG fireplaces does not necessarily apply to Propane.

Gas fireplaces here tend to be comparable, if not more expensive than a wood alternative up front. The main advantage is you flip a switch and your wife is warm, or get a t-stat and you don't even need to flip a switch.

I personally went with gas insert over wood as I live in a suburban area, have no wood access and didn't much like the idea of going to the wood pile every time the wife was cold (which is always). Wood is also expensive to buy here, and in many cases it is not so much seasoned as it is "seasoned".

5. Likes robatnorfolk, HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    I prefer to the Gas Fireplace.

Post Likes
    I have a masonry wood-burning fireplace in my home. That being said, it is a pita to try to put the fire out before going to bed. Some people's just let it go, but I personally don't like to do that. This means I have to plan the fires I have. I prefer gas fireplaces for the fact that I can flip a switch on when I want fire, and off when I don't. My fireplace is solely for looks, so I don't care about heating effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I guess a true sweep will always suggest wood. In the central sierras here in cali they are bringing a lot of cords down from the dead pines and other various trees taken out because of beetles, drought, etc.. I opted for a free standing wood stove from Lopi. The endeavor fits my needs and does a great job heating. Something about having a system to heat that is not tied to the grid, not having to pay the utility to operate my system, and being able to make soup or cook If I ever needed to. Now if I were to live in a major metro area it would change my decision. Here in the Central Cali the Air board puts restrictions on wood/pellet burning, so in that case would of opted for a gas insert, we sell Travis Industries brands and they do a pretty good job. Pellet systems are cool but just like gas if the power goes out you don't have the full functions. At least with a wood stove you could put an eco fan on top and be good to go if the power went out.

Post Likes
    I personally prefer to go for the gas fireplace as they are the most safer option to be available.

10. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
    Post Likes
    Gas Fireplace, just switch it on or off, no cleaning, no chimney sweeping, less hazards, etc, etc....

But its not a real wood fire......

Older folks usually go for gas, and don't deal with all the hassle.
    Younger folks go for the real wood fireplace, cause they have the energy to deal with the downsides.

I have a neighbor that was dissatisfied with his Heat Pumps that came with the home, he installed a wood pellet stove in his home himself, even built a faux fireplace that it is mounted within. He swears by it and it heats the entire home instead of the high cost in electric bill and low performing heat pumps currently installed in his home.

Heat Pellet Stove is less ambiance, but more than supplemental heat, and more like a gas fireplace than real wood fireplace when it comes to the hassles.

12. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
    Post Likes
    Kyoufu has it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S. Migue View Post
    I personally prefer to go for the gas fireplace as they are the most safer option to be available.
    Gas fireplaces are often the most non-maintained appliances. They are Kevorkian machines. They are not the safest by far.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAnderson53 View Post
    Gas Fireplace, just switch it on or off, no cleaning, no chimney sweeping, less hazards, etc, etc....

BS. Gas is often more hazardous than wood. People become complacent with gas appliances. see above. Soot and CO are your biggest hazards.

Heat Pellet Stove is less ambiance, but more than supplemental heat, and more like a gas fireplace than real wood fireplace when it comes to the hassles.

Ambiance lacking, not true. Some pellet stoves are more fancy than any wood fireplace. Fuller, more substantial flames, cleaner burn, less maintenance, less work, and generally less cost to operate.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Kyoufu has it right.

Gas fireplaces are often the most non-maintained appliances. They are Kevorkian machines. They are not the safest by far.

BS. Gas is often more hazardous than wood. People become complacent with gas appliances. see above. Soot and CO are your biggest hazards.
    While I'd argue the same hazards are present for wood fireplaces as well. I have to admit, you have a big point about Complacency, most people view a gas fireplace as no different than a dishwasher or refrigerator that is nothing to worry about. (Yea, OK, arguably Dishwashers and Refrigerators can be hazardous if they are ignored). So yea, no checks, no maintenance, they just use it till it stops working, then call someone when it stops working.

If you don't have a CO detector in your house with a gas fireplace, or any fireplace or any any appliance or device that uses combustion of any fuel type, you're a fool. And that's not to counter your point, having a CO detector doesn't counteract the disadvantages of a gas fireplace. Its simply a fact, if any kind of combustion goes on in a home, the chances of CO being produced is high and detector to warn occupants is needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RickAnderson53 View Post
    If you don't have a CO detector in your house with a gas fireplace, or any fireplace or any any appliance or device that uses combustion of any fuel type, you're a fool. And that's not to counter your point, having a CO detector doesn't counteract the disadvantages of a gas fireplace. Its simply a fact, if any kind of combustion goes on in a home, the chances of CO being produced is high and detector to warn occupants is needed.
    And all the detectors have to be non UL listed devices. UL alarms at a point on the scale where harm has already been done.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."