Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    One more and perhaps the most important thing. If you live in an area that has more than one school that teaches HVAC, be leery. Of course they are all going to tell you how in demand you will be but what they don't tell you is that every semester there may be over a 100 students in the area that will be graduating and looking for work and there are not near enough jobs to support this.
    I guess its good I live 120 miles from my school.

Did you go to a community college or a trade school?

The trend I noticed is that community college grads have a tougher time finding a job because their job placement services aren't nearly as good as those at a trade school. A school that specializes in HVAC training obviously has more HVAC-related connections although it costs a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by ideafx View Post
    Did you go to a community college or a trade school?

The trend I noticed is that community college grads have a tougher time finding a job because their job placement services aren't nearly as good as those at a trade school. A school that specializes in HVAC training obviously has more HVAC-related connections although it costs a bit more.
    No it is a trade school, technical college. The school has a job placement program but they find most of the jobs in New York. I will be contacting these people soon to tell them to search in Northern NJ for me since they have connections in that area also.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-PA- View Post
    Yea I am waiting on the job fair because I can find very few entry level jobs. If you don't need technicians why put up a posting?
    So if we need to hire, we have a stack of resumes to call on. That's how the job market is.

YOU COULD CHECK OUT SOME OF THE MANUFACTURE FACTORY REPS. FOR COMMECIAL EQUIPMENT (SALES AND ASSOCIATS) SOME OF THE COMPANIES DO ALOT OF WARRANTY WORK STARTUPS AND P.M. WORK. MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WILL BE DOING RES. AND COM. BUT ITS A GOOD STARTING PLACE.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    So if we need to hire, we have a stack of resumes to call on. That's how the job market is.
    Oh, that does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    YOU COULD CHECK OUT SOME OF THE MANUFACTURE FACTORY REPS. FOR COMMECIAL EQUIPMENT (SALES AND ASSOCIATS) SOME OF THE COMPANIES DO ALOT OF WARRANTY WORK STARTUPS AND P.M. WORK. MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WILL BE DOING RES. AND COM. BUT ITS A GOOD STARTING PLACE.
    Good advice, I will check those companies out.

Just about all of the major manufactures do run commercial service just like any other service company. Trane, JCI/York, McQuay, Carrier, etc. Some of these are union, and others are not, but all of them provide superior training on their specific brands, and are an excellent place to start. They usually have branch offices to cover every region, but depending on your location you may have a long commute. I think Trane has a branch in Wilkes Barre/Scranton, and so does JCI/York.

They all have web sites with employment opportunities. I'm not familiar with the NE part of Pa, but around here in the areas that I cover, (Allentown, Reading, Harrisburg, Lancaster, parts of Philly) there seems to be some opportunities.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalHVAC View Post
    Just about all of the major manufactures do run commercial service just like any other service company. Trane, JCI/York, McQuay, Carrier, etc. Some of these are union, and others are not, but all of them provide superior training on their specific brands, and are an excellent place to start. They usually have branch offices to cover every region, but depending on your location you may have a long commute. I think Trane has a branch in Wilkes Barre/Scranton, and so does JCI/York.

They all have web sites with employment opportunities. I'm not familiar with the NE part of Pa, but around here in the areas that I cover, (Allentown, Reading, Harrisburg, Lancaster, parts of Philly) there seems to be some opportunities.

Good luck.
    Thanks, I am going to check out Trane website first and see what they have in my area. I am willing to work in Northern New Jersey so for a long time now I expected a long commute.

i feel the pain hvac... i moved to york, pa from baltimore. bought my first house last september, all was well.

got laid off jan 6th, and there is no work. i have been in the field for like 9 years give or take, and sent countless resumes out. i never seen it this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by derrick1623 View Post
    i feel the pain hvac... i moved to york, pa from baltimore. bought my first house last september, all was well.

got laid off jan 6th, and there is no work. i have been in the field for like 9 years give or take, and sent countless resumes out. i never seen it this bad.
    Right now I am waiting on the job fair and the school to find me a job. I saw a bunch of entry level HVAC jobs in NJ on Monster and I sent them my resume, but got no response. The company was called United Career Services, but I think they just place people for HVAC jobs or something.

i think that place is some sort of training.. doesn't really come across as a job if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by hvochead View Post
    i think that place is some sort of training.. doesn't really come across as a job if you ask me
    I read what the description said and it mentioned a job.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast