Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Layoffs

Dude Local nine has the most layoffs now, since the last ten years and that is in central NJ

Quote Originally Posted by hvochead View Post
    Dude Local nine has the most layoffs now, since the last ten years and that is in central NJ
    Than I look for a job outside the union and I stick by what I say, I have seen more job postings in New Jersey than Pennsylvania.

I don't understand most techs on this site. Most of you always put down schooling. I don't understand this,most of the hacks in this trade haven't had any formal training. How do we get better in this trade????? TRAINING if not then join the ranks of all the idiots out there.

Most training is available only if you work directly for the mfg. If not, you are stuck to supply house venues which are all about selling products.

Most of the manufacturers offer the same training their technicians get to independent contractors for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by referman2005 View Post
    I don't understand most techs on this site. Most of you always put down schooling.
    I wouldn't agree with your statement. There are some who aren't a fan for schooling but not the majority.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by hvochead View Post
    Most training is available only if you work directly for the mfg. If not, you are stuck to supply house venues which are all about selling products.
    Join RSES, NCI, ASHRAE, RETA Ask about training on this site. Apply for Pro Membership and get on the Education Forum, Go for Your NATE.

There not a lack of training some time you need to just look for it.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Most of the manufacturers offer the same training their technicians get to independent contractors for a price.
    You mean companies like Trane hire technicians? What jobs do they do?

Quote Originally Posted by referman2005 View Post
    I don't understand most techs on this site. Most of you always put down schooling. I don't understand this,most of the hacks in this trade haven't had any formal training. How do we get better in this trade????? TRAINING if not then join the ranks of all the idiots out there.
    If you already have a job in this field, or you know that when you get through school you will have a job waiting for you, they school is good way to improve your skills. On the other hand, if you are going to school with hopes of getting a job in this trade and you don't have a job lined up or know somebody that can help you get a job, you may be disappointed.

I've said it once and I will say it again. There are just too many schools pumping out students with certificates than there are ENTRY LEVEL jobs. This is especially true in this economy. Right now there are experienced people out of work and this will just make it harder for someone right out of school to get a job.

If you are entertaining the idea of going to school, the only thing that I would suggest is to check out the job market in your area before you enroll to see if you have a realistic chance of landing a job once you are through.

One more and perhaps the most important thing. If you live in an area that has more than one school that teaches HVAC, be leery. Of course they are all going to tell you how in demand you will be but what they don't tell you is that every semester there may be over a 100 students in the area that will be graduating and looking for work and there are not near enough jobs to support this.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-PA- View Post
    You mean companies like Trane hire technicians? What jobs do they do?
    They will go out and diagnose and resolve problems with contractors mistakes/faulty new equip that they cannot figure out(usually caused by install mistakes ). Not a job you are going to qualify for right out of school.

I believe they also have their own commercial service companies.
    You can't fix stupid

As of right now in Jersey, as with most of the country I would imagine, entry level service technician jobs are scarce. Everytime I go to the supply house, I hear about another big name company laying off. Local 475 and 9 have so many on the bench they are falling off. You can't be picky on where and what you want or expect to do, especially with no experience and just schooling. Can you land a job that will pay you good and keep you happy, sure, but it's a tough market right now.

And alot of job postings are just dead opening. For example we advertise, looking for service technicians all the time. But it doesn't mean we are actually hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    As of right now in Jersey, as with most of the country I would imagine, entry level service technician jobs are scarce. Everytime I go to the supply house, I hear about another big name company laying off. Local 475 and 9 have so many on the bench they are falling off. You can't be picky on where and what you want or expect to do, especially with no experience and just schooling. Can you land a job that will pay you good and keep you happy, sure, but it's a tough market right now.

And alot of job postings are just dead opening. For example we advertise, looking for service technicians all the time. But it doesn't mean we are actually hiring.
    Yea I am waiting on the job fair because I can find very few entry level jobs. If you don't need technicians why put up a posting?

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    They will go out and diagnose and resolve problems with contractors mistakes/faulty new equip that they cannot figure out(usually caused by install mistakes ). Not a job you are going to qualify for right out of school.

I believe they also have their own commercial service companies.
    I didn't know they did that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast