Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by echo20 View Post
    Get out of the bizness now it sucks!!!!!
    Spoken like someone in his 15th year of apprenticeship.

There is a site 2 sites that may help you,
    www.craigslist.com
    www.mepatwork.com
    Try both, That how we hire our tech.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin73 View Post
    There is a site 2 sites that may help you,
    www.craigslist.com
    www.mepatwork.com
    Try both, That how we hire our tech.
    I didn't think employers took craigslist seriously, thanks.

I've taken the liberty to check the UA Local 9 site for you. You've already missed the deadline for HVAC/R commercial apprentice applications.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I've taken the liberty to check the UA Local 9 site for you. You've already missed the deadline for HVAC/R commercial apprentice applications.
    Oh, maybe in another few months they will be looking to hire more?

thr reason why companies are going to craigslist is that it is free. reduce cost.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

I checked out Craigslist and I did find a few jobs that had reasonable demands, and they are in the range I am willing to commute. Thanks again Merlin.

HVAC, good luck in your job hunt. It's tough for a lot of people right now. I don't think you'll have too much trouble in this field so long as you don't lose sight of your goal. You'll definitely be paying your dues for a couple years until you "make it"

A great place to start is the construction/building side of the trade. You can learn A LOT about how these systems you'd like to work on are laid out and put together. My experience in the sheet metal & pipefitting field have proved to be invaluable to me as I develop my abilities as a technician.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    HVAC, good luck in your job hunt. It's tough for a lot of people right now. I don't think you'll have too much trouble in this field so long as you don't lose sight of your goal. You'll definitely be paying your dues for a couple years until you "make it"

A great place to start is the construction/building side of the trade. You can learn A LOT about how these systems you'd like to work on are laid out and put together. My experience in the sheet metal & pipefitting field have proved to be invaluable to me as I develop my abilities as a technician.
    Thanks Berger, I don't mind paying my dues for a few years. I want to use that time to learn more so I can do my job properly. It's funny you mention construction/building for possible jobs since those industries are in the crapper right now. Is it even possible to find work in those fields now?

Yeah, but the only people who have anything going right now are the larger companies, and even some of them are laying off...

The reason I suggested that is because I got into this trade quite easily by going that route. Sheet metal companies always need someone to paint duct sealant, and pipefitting companies will always need ditch diggers. From there you can move up and branch out into other disciplines. Or you can just move up and end up running a crew of 25 tradesmen on a multimillion dollar build.

Look at some of the stuff that Lash and Tommy310 are doing in the "wall of pride" forum. Construction these days requires a pretty good technical acumen, and for some, artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Yeah, but the only people who have anything going right now are the larger companies, and even some of them are laying off...

The reason I suggested that is because I got into this trade quite easily by going that route. Sheet metal companies always need someone to paint duct sealant, and pipefitting companies will always need ditch diggers. From there you can move up and branch out into other disciplines. Or you can just move up and end up running a crew of 25 tradesmen on a multimillion dollar build.

Look at some of the stuff that Lash and Tommy310 are doing in the "wall of pride" forum. Construction these days requires a pretty good technical acumen, and for some, artistry.
    I am going to check it out, but I am concerned my employer will make me do non-HVAC related jobs. It seems you did many odd-jobs before landing in the HVAC field, I really want to get into the HVAC more than anything else. It would be a waste of my education and certifications to do anything else IMO.

Unhappy Good Luck

I think most employers are just looking for good labor at a cheap wage right now. They know most people that are looking are down and out. They offer lower compensation. I've been looking for a job in NE PA for almost two months now. I have a ton of experiance but there is just no work

Wow that sucks and I am sorry to hear that, it seems more jobs are being offered in NJ right now.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast