Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 85
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    serious note...does your doc know of your condition..it may be a sign of something serious. Heart issues, vein, artery issues just being young does not immune u from problems like those. Tell your doc about your condition

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,916
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-PA- View Post
    Wow thank you for sharing this information with me, I am so relieved to hear I begin as an apprentice. I thought because I went to college they would expect everything from me right off the bat. What companies should I research btw?

    Look, your the one that referred to yourself as a Tech. See here..."but how would I know if they are looking for tech's or not"?

    Your education may let you move up the ladder a little faster, but you will still start at the bottom until your aptitude is put to the test.
    Crawl spaces and attics are not the only tight spaces you will be finding yourself in either.

    Good luck!

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Look, your the one that referred to yourself as a Tech. See here..."but how would I know if they are looking for tech's or not"?

    Your education may let you move up the ladder a little faster, but you will still start at the bottom until your aptitude is put to the test.
    Crawl spaces and attics are not the only tight spaces you will be finding yourself in either.

    Good luck!
    You really think I want to start off with a lot of responsibility? I am glad they will not consider me a tech, I want to gain some experience before too much responsibilty is given to me. I only referred to myself as a "Technician" since the all the job descriptions say "HVAC Technician". Why do expect me to know what my title would be as of now since I never worked in the field?

    I have no problems with tight spaces, being hunched over is where I have the problems.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    serious note...does your doc know of your condition..it may be a sign of something serious. Heart issues, vein, artery issues just being young does not immune u from problems like those. Tell your doc about your condition
    I don't why it's a medical condition? If anyone is bent over at a 90 degree angle for a long enough period of time blood rushes to your head.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,916
    Ok...well enough.

    Make some calls, and ask to speak with the owner or manager. Say hi, my name is so & so, I just graduated from so & so in so & so. I was wondering if your shop is looking for an apprentice?

    This is what I did 20 years ago, after getting an Assoc. degree in Environmental Systems Technology.

    Worked for some real buttheads too until I found a good employer. Never burned any bridges though.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-PA- View Post
    I don't why it's a medical condition? If anyone is bent over at a 90 degree angle for a long enough period of time blood rushes to your head.
    sorry misunderstood...the way i read it you said it it was a condition that could cause a safety issue with working on equipment..not just discomfort

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    sorry misunderstood...the way i read it you said it it was a condition that could cause a safety issue with working on equipment..not just discomfort
    It's just very uncomfortable for me to stay in that position too long, it's not like I would pass out.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Ok...well enough.

    Make some calls, and ask to speak with the owner or manager. Say hi, my name is so & so, I just graduated from so & so in so & so. I was wondering if your shop is looking for an apprentice?

    This is what I did 20 years ago, after getting an Assoc. degree in Environmental Systems Technology.

    Worked for some real buttheads too until I found a good employer. Never burned any bridges though.
    Thats good advice, I guess I will just have to keep doing research and make some calls. Thanks.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,619
    I don't mean to beat the same point but your a new grad with no experience, In a bad economy. You might think we don't understand but we were there.


    Maybe you get lucky and find a job meeting your requirements.

    The Best thing I did starting out was to look for the job that taught the most and, those are often jobs that leaves you with less then desirable, Task Hours and Work Setting.

    Warning if you came in a said you couldn't or would due tight spaces I would NOT hire you unless you had a great and I mean great back ground and a strong work history.

    Due your time and you'll move up faster.

    Good luck

    Again Don't Take this as a criticizeing but food for though
    If you help others then you are a Success

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    I don't mean to beat the same point but your a new grad with no experience, In a bad economy. You might think we don't understand but we were there.


    Maybe you get lucky and find a job meeting your requirements.

    The Best thing I did starting out was to look for the job the taught the most and those are often jobs that leaves you with less then desire task.

    Due your time and you'll move up faster.

    Good luck
    I realize I won't get the job I want at first, but I want a job where I can at least spend most of my time standing up while I work. But I really do want a job where I can learn the most.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,619
    Again If you look at the ADA Form most employer's will make you sign it will say something like, prolonged period of bending standing and squating....able to work in confined spaces.


    You might consider Getting a BS in ME OR MET so you can not have the physical demands of field work


    Food for thought
    If you help others then you are a Success

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    Again If you look at the ADA Form most employer's will make you sign it will say something like, prolonged period of bending standing and squating....able to work in confined spaces.


    You might consider Getting a BS in ME OR MET so you can not have the physical demands of field work


    Food for thought
    BS requires too much math and I will be able to bear the physical demands as long as I don't work in residential.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    i think you have a false idea of commercial / industrial work..its not all rooftop units and air handlers you can walk up to. I have been called a rafter rat many times because the time i spend in the rafters of different types of buildings from large factories to small offices..crouched over in odd shapes.

    I think we could help you better if we knew what type of work you are expecting and we could direct you better

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event